What is the Deal with Fox's Weather Updates?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by WillG, Jun 25, 2004.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I don't know about the rest of the country, but if you live in the New York Metropolitan area, the weather alert craws that they do are contained in a red bar that takes up nearly the top quarter of the screen. What were they thinking when they decided to go with this? Why not just the text that crawls along the bottom of the screen and not something that blocks out 1/4 of your television image.

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Just wait until they take the right side of your display. They then proceed to squish the the AR of the programming to fit the remaining portion. Then to add further insult to your impaired viewing of the programming they add the usual overlying additonal graphics. Lastly, when they decide to completely preempt the Alias Season finale they say, "look at our new weather setup, we like it because it makes everyone look skinnier."

It's not just Fox, this foolishness is coming to all markets most likely.

3. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

The Fox station here in the Washington, DC area does the same thing with their weather alerts. They are also good at blocking 1/3 of the screen to tell me that I am watching "The Simpsons" while I am watching "The Simpsons". Guess I couldn't figure it out.

4. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

NBC is the worst here. You basically can't wait daytime tv because the weather update has a full map w/ key cover the right side of the tv, then the bottom has a full scroll that is about a third of the screen so the picture gets squeezed into 1/4 of the screen in the top right corner. Not to mention all of the 'beeps' that come along with it. And we have had bad whether nearly every day for the past month, somewhere in the state.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

I would take squeezing the image over plainly cropping it.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

No good deed goes unpunished. People are in danger and you're complaining that the methods used by the TV station to warn them are disrupting your entertainment.

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Sorry, if I wasn't clear. They interupt all scheduled programming for the night and instead run a squeezed edition of their "weather/news" til midnight or later. Only prior to the Alias finale show did they squeeze actual programming, they did so only during the 20 minutes that were not interrupted. This has continued since and is now occurring on all four market stations.