What's new

What is the danger of using 3-ohm speakers with 4-ohm receiver? (1 Viewer)

TacoD

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hello, home theater newbie here. My A/V receiver says the minimum speaker impedance it supports is 4 ohms. You have to set it to a special setting for 4-ohm speakers which I have done. But my front left and right speakers say that their impedance is 3 ohms. What the danger in this? Is the danger to my speakers or to my receiver?

The receiver is Panasonic SA-BX500. The speakers are the ones that came with Panasonic SC-PT750 a couple of years ago. I have already discovered that since the subwoofer that came with the SC-PT750 is not powered, it won't work with my new receiver -- I hope I don't have to buy new front left and right speakers too. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Receivers have protection circuits, should shut down if the speakers draw too much current.

Replacing the speakers shouldn't be a big loss as the ones that come in HTiBs aren't that great to begin with, although it's a bit of money your sound will be ton better. For $80-100 you can get a pair of bookshelves that would do much better. For a whole system including sub you'd probably have to go min $300, more/better choices if you have more budget.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
that's a pricey receiver to be using with HTiB speakers. you don't have to do anything, but if you're looking to upgrade from the old HTiB, you may have made a slight miss step. nothing horrible just not what anyone here would have likely chosen. there are better avr's available for the money on paper, but if your happy with it that's all that matters.

i'm going to guess you wanted the HDMI and and new audio formats for bluray and that's why you picked up the new receiver. from a sound quality standpoint, speakers have the largest impact on what you hear, so most people will recommend putting most of your budget towards speakers over electronics. that said, if your electronics won't do what you need the to, they need replacing or getting. the point is that you should expect the cost of your speakers to be equal to or greater than the cost of your avr in most situations. (i'm sure there are people who wold disagree.)

if i were you, i'd plan on replacing all the panny speakers from the old set. but there's no rush. as long as you're not trying to break things with high volumes, your avr will likely be fine. i'd replace all 3 fronts together from the same manufacturer and line. then get a new sub and finally the surrounds, preferably but not necessarily to match the fronts.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks