What is the correct Aspect Ratio of JU DOU?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    This is out of print on DVD, I guess, but I do own it, and it's full screen. IMDB, which is frequently inaccurate, states a theatrical ratio of 2.35:1, but other sites list it as 1.66:1. Anyone have the definitive answer?

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Lucky!

That Ju Dou and Raise the Red Lantern aren't available on a R1 DVD is a crime.

3. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I've seen a print of this theatrically and it definitely was not scope..It was projected closer to 1.37 but should probably be projector-matted to 1.66 or 1.85.

4. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I bought my copy here in US a few years back. Not sure if it is region 1 or 0. I guess it is out of print now. It would be awsome if someone (MGM?) would release "Raise the Red Lantern" however.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Be careful what you wish for. The Ju Dou that was available was a truly horrible edition. _That_ was a real crime.

-Dave

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

7. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

They are wrong. Red Sorghum, yes, Ju Dou, no.

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The same site (FilmsOnDisc) has a conflicting article which states that "According to sources at Panavision Ju Dou was shot 1.66 spherical." I also found an old text article listing current releases at the time which stated 1.66.

My memory is of a 1.85 ar, but I don't hold too much stock in my memory. Then again, the 2nd FilmsOnDisc article also thought that the on the DVD, "color saturation is vital and stable", and that's just plain nuts - the DVD color is awful. [​IMG]

If you do a google search for "Zhang Yimou cinematography", you'll get a lot of hits. Perhaps there is some more definitive information in a Zhang Yimou essay or biography.

-Dave