What's new

What is the coolest video store in your city? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm talking about the stores that have a nice eclectic selection and only stock OAR discs.

Me, I live in Cincinnati. I have yet to find a decent video store. Anyone have any ideas?

Where I used to live in Richmond, VA., we had a store called Media Solutions (I think). They were mostly a high-end HT store, but they used to rent LD's when no one else did. They were also the first place that I ever saw a DVD.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Me, I live in Cincinnati. I have yet to find a decent video store.
It ain't much better up here in Troy. We have a Hollywood Video and a Family Video. Both have .99 rentals but the selections are just passable. Well, HV did get La Terra Trema and Obssessione in last week but I'm sure that was a mistake! :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Premier Video on Mockingbird Lane, is quite easily Dallas’ finest for eclectic movie buffs. Most categories have DVDs and VHS tapes mixed in with each other. There is a large number of foreign films and classic films. My only criticism would be that they have not added DVD copies of films to their stock of VHS tapes for older or obscure movies. This means that one can usually find what you are looking for, but it may available only on VHS.

Other than that a close to perfect store—and its very close to my home.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Only stock OAR titles? Does such a place exist? Would you want it to? You'll end up missing out on lots of movies that aren't available in OAR.
Anyhoo, the best video store in the world happens to be just a couple miles from my house: Link Removed :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
This place is world-famous among cinemaphiles. It's a theater/video store:
Facets
They do mail order too. To be honest, we don't go there very often because it's in a weird place to get to if you don't have a car.
I doubt if any video store in the world carries ONLY OAR. Several older videos that are now out-of-print (and not available on DVD) were not released in OAR, so you have to take what you can get.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Anyhoo, the best video store in the world happens to be just a couple miles from my house: Scarecrow Video
I have a friend who drools over them, and I'm sure with good reason, but I have a bit of a grudge against them. I bought an R2 DVD of Blood Simple that turned out to be pan'n'scan, AND a great domestic version came out a month or so later. It would have been nice if they'd told me about the aspect ratio, and I'm sure they probably knew about the upcoming release but didn't tell me. Argh. I haven't bought anything from them since.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Le Video in San Francisco has a Bigger selection of movies from Holland than most Blockbusters have movies.
Too Bad they dont have parking

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Well, I meant OAR when available. Older videos don't count. I'm talking anything currently being released.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Around here it's Link Removed. Nothing fancy about the store, but a great selection. I don't go much though, since I hardly rent.

BarryS

Second Unit
In my area, it's Vision Video. They have a lot of indie/cult type stuff, a HUGE DVD selection, and lots of Criterion DVDs. Very cheap rentals too. There are two locations and one of them has even more obscure stuff like classics, foreign films, bizarre exploitation stuff, etc. It's great. It's the anti-Blockbuster.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Graeme beat me to it. Videomatica for sure.
I swear they must have every single DVD ever released in R1. They even have the Criterion DVDs of The 400 Blows and Salo for rent.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There used to be a great place in Denver called J, B & H, but the owners moved on to better things shortly after DVD came around. They strove to have every LD available in stock. People, like me, came from all over the state to rent from them.

BTW, Lew, where is Mockingbird Lane? I lived in Dallas for a couple years in the late '80s and that really rings a bell, but I can't place where it is.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Mockingbird Lane runs east/west across North Dallas. Its one mile south of Lovers Lane and about two miles (or so) north of downtown. The SMU campus is just north of Mockingbird (and south of Lovers), close to Central Expressway. The Dallas County Club is at the corner of Mockingbird and Preston.

Mockingbird Lane is pretty much the dividing line between University Park and Highland Park (between Central Expressway and North Dallas Tollway).

As to the video store in question, its just east of Central Expressway on Mockingbird. As I live a few blocks west of SMU and a few north of Mockingbird (in University Park), this is a super convenient store for me.

Not so good as to be able to rent OOP Criterions like Salò, but good enough to have some non-R1, non-PAL DVDs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks, Lew. That's what I was thinking. Isn't Love Field around there as well? I forgot about Lover's Lane. What a crackup.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
A Mom&Pop store that went under here about 3 years ago. The most awesome selection of videos Ive ever seen.Everything and I do mean everything I ever wanted was there. They were also the only stoer in the area that rented Laser Discs.
They were out out of business by Blockbuster :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks