What's new

What is the consensus on Stargate SG-U? (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by kemcha

Five episodes. The pilot episode is considered two episodes. And, it is a more recent episode, no matter how many episodes have been released. Because it has only three regular episodes does not make it less so.
Even if you count the pilot as two episodes (though I don't know why you would since it was produced and aired as one episode), there's been 4 episodes. I guess you have a point though- the latest episode aired is still a more recent episode... even if there's been a total of 3 episodes that have aired.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I started watching SG-U on Blu and I've gotta say, so far so good. It was great to see some of the characters from SG-1 make appearances (Richard Dean Anderson looked a little puffy-faced - he must really be enjoying his time off!) - it lends this new incarnation an air of familiarity but at the same time it feels like a completely different and fresh approach to an old concept and I like it. The actor who plays the injured colonel (in the pilot) looks like the same guy from the old Twilight Zone episode titled 'And When the Sky Was Opened' - where have I seen him before?

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
I'm interested in giving this a go because Robert Carlyle is in it. Though my Season 1 set still sits waiting for a viewing - whenever that will be. I'll look for SG-U cheap cheap.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Holy Cow this is good stuff! Just got through watching the intial 10 episode run on BD and I gotta say I was thoroughly entertained. It definitely doesn't feel like the old Stargate, which is a good thing, but the appearances of characters from SG-1 give the show an air of welcome familiarity and reminds you that you are watching Stargate, just not the Stargate with Samantha Carter, Daniel Jackson or anyone else from those shows. My only complaint is that they're copying the zoom-in camera techniques from Battlestar Galactica and I can't stand when they do something like that. Stay original, guys.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
If my memory is correct SG-1 wasn't a big draw in the beginning...If the producers had given up because it wasn't a huge hit we would'nt have had one of the best (and longest running) sci-fi series ever created

IMO apart from the pilot, first episode and a couple of episodes during the season, Season 1 of SG1 is one of the worst seasons of any Stargate series.

Im willing to give the new show a chance for a whole season based on this because they are trying to be a little different. They were never going to break the formula too much but it is different enough for me to see where they are going with it. I also like Robert Carlyle (i think most Brits do) and im interested to see where they take this character.

The show definitely has problems but at least they aren't as deathly dull as SG1 Season 1 where a huge proportion of the episodes were so formulaic, predictable and boring for a large proportion of the time that I cant believe I stuck with it (Im glad I did). Id take any episode of SGU over something like Emancipation from SG1.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I looked at an episode list and saw a lot of good episodes. You just singled out the worst! I do wish there had been a scene where someone asked, "Why can we understand everyone?" and it had been revealed that the Goa'uld had a universal translator of sorts. Then, after a brief mission, they could have obtained one. Would have easily answered a question.

It's not as bad as the Trek I watched last night, though. Voyager was above a planet where a day progressed for every second on Voyager. Actually a good episode, but the people on the planet tried to write a letter to Voyager. It was shown to be written in English! That was something I don't think I've ever seen on Trek. Usually, they'd either not show it or it'd be "gibberish."

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Luisito34

My only complaint is that they're copying the zoom-in camera techniques from Battlestar Galactica and I can't stand when they do something like that. Stay original, guys.
To be fair, though, BSG didn't exactly invent that themselves either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks