What is the confirmed packaging of STARWARS:TPM?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by YANG, Oct 6, 2001.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

I know that this is a two disc release only.
    What is the keepcase used for this release?DUAL ALPHA?Or the SLIM DUAL AMARAY?Or even worse...the CARDBOARD case.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Slim amaray with the flap holding disc 1 (ala Cast Away). Packaging is nice, you've just got to be careful not to apply preasure to the middle of the box allowing for the discs to fall out upon opening the case.
    Dan (UK)

3. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. But the overall package (disc and content is a marvel to behold. I just wonder how it would of faired with just the one English 5.1 track, as oppossed to the english and French 5.1...
    ------------------
    http://www.btinternet.com/~woof.bark/

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Don't think it would have made a spot of difference had it just had one track in 5.1, Craig. I do prefer how the LD sounds bass wise however.
    The DVD requires me to crank up my Tag AV32R real high as it seems to be mastered at an incredibly low volume level, I have to take the sub down a few DBs too because the DVD doesnt produce as much even LFE as the LD does with my HT.
    I like to send some bass to the mains (my room and housing arrangement will not allow for me to run the HT as such obscene reference levels so I can get away with doing this without damaging my speakers). With the same calibrated settings on my processor the LD does just that, sends some decent LFE to the mains, but the DVD doesnt unless I tinker with the settings (which I should not have to do) and take the sub down a few notches.
    Video transfer is flawed (contrast mess up on a number of bright scenes, mostly on tatooine) but good enough on my 32" widescreen. I'd be interested to see it running via your HTPC set up...
    The nicest surprise was, despite my upset over the use of player generated subtitles, they are at least framed correctly within the film frame and don't overlap into the lower widescreen bar in anamorphic playback.
    Dan (UK)
    [Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 06, 2001 at 08:32 AM]

5. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

I'm glad I kept my laserdisc. I have to admit my enthusiasm for this dvd has been taken down several notches in the last few weeks due to all the negative reviews.

6. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Dan (and anyone else interested):
    I've finally gotten a chance to view the DVD edition of Phantom Menace. I agree with most of the reviews so far, at least to a point. The image does exhibit more "ringing" than it should (over-enhancement) and there is major difference in the soundtrack level between the import LD and the DVD. However, I will add a couple of caveats to this.
    On the video, anyone using a Panasonic RP91, set the "mosquito noise" adjustment in the "U" menu to +1 and set the "edge" adjustment to -1. This will minimize the MPEG-induced grain and greatly reduce the ringing. On my rig with these settings, I was able to achieve a look much closer to film than the rather "digital" video look more people will find.
    As for the soundtrack, there is the issue of dialnorm to take into account. The DVD uses the default setting of -27dBFS where the LD was either -31dBFS (or no dialnorm at all). That will account for 4dB of the overall level difference between these two. Also, one has to assume the soundtrack on the import LD (Pioneer Japan) was likely prepared by someone other than those that did this DVD. This is obviously opinion, but I find the DVD a more pleasing track and the LD now sounds even more bloated and "overcooked" than it did before. The DVD sounds more balanced and natural by comparison.
    Bearing in mind that I prefer to watch these sort of movies at or near reference level, I could never turn the volume above -5 for comfortable listening to the LD, yet the DVD sounds perfect at "0" (reference), as it should. It is possible there are some additional differences in LFE levels beyond the overall level variation between these two, but that will require test measurements to confirm. Even so, at reference level, I did not find any lack of low bass with the DVD track.

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Yes I agree I find it good to be able to run TPM at reference level, doing so with the LD would have destroyed my house, but I still miss the more accurate distribution of LFE across the front soundstage that the LD gave me.
    I think much of it has to do with the fact that I do what you're technically not supposed to do with standard HT set up, and that is send LFE to the mains. Nevertheless it'll still take me some getting used to the DVDs audio presentation, being so used to the laser's.
    Dan (UK)

8. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Obi and Dan,
    So would either of you consider this a "reference sounding" disc?
    ------------------
    -Dwayne

9. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Dan, what's wrong with the subs entering the lower widescreen bar in and anamorphic 2.35:1 movie? I prefer this as it means no picture is obscured and you are certain of reading them clearly.
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Dwayne,
    Yes, definately.
    Theo,
    A lot of people like to use mattes with their projection systems and even their TVs. If subtitles cross over into the lower bar this messes with those who have built mattes for their displays as they wont be able to read the subtitles. I plan to upgrade to a projection system with mattes soon enough, and my preference is as theatrical, the subtitles in the film frame.
    Dan (UK)

11. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Robert - thanks for the tips on reducing EE/mosquito noise on the RP91.
    I'll keep that in mind when I get my copy.
    Do you use that setting a lot or just on problematic discs?
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup

12. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Dwayne:
    I place Phantom Menace in the top 5% of modern movies for soundtrack quality. Great EX soundtrack.
    Lou:
    Yes, I have found the following settings to be useful on all discs to a greater or lesser degree. Also note, this is very "monitor dependent". The capabilities and characteristics of individual monitors will dictate what, if any, adjustments in the player are truly useful.
    My "U" setings...
    U1 - Gamma +1
    U2 - Mosquito NR +1
    U3 - High Sharpness +1
    Edge -1
    Note, "High Sharpness" is a horizontal sharpness control and is much more subtle than the "V Sharpness", which is more like the standard sharpness control in a TV. The "V Sharpness" control will induce ringing with only a single step adjustment. Avoid this one.

13. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

To those who are uncertain whether to get this after the "disappointing" reviews:
    I just watched the movie and all of the supplements on disc two. The picture is quite good and edge enhancement wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. The sound just really blew me away. Unbelievable. The think that impressed me most, though was the extra material. These extras are actually worthwhile. Except for some great commentaries every once in a while and very few documentaries (Fight Club, Seven, Jaws etc) I find most extras quite boring. Usually mostly promotional stuff wasting my time.
    But on EPI the extras are amazing. It was a real look behind the camera, not a bunch of interviews. The making of the waterfall sequence etc., just great imo.
    I definitely recommend this set.
    ------------------
    - Michael
    My DVD collection

14. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Thanks Obi.
    I'll use them as a guideline - I'm using a DLP projector - NECLT150 - and those settings may not be optimum as you said for my display.
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup