What's new

What is the cheapest SACD/DVD-A player w/prog scan? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to upgrade to either DVD-A/SACD, and I want something that is progressive scan. It doesn't have to hold me out for too long, maybe about 3 years, or until either DVD-A or SACD takes off over the other. I really don't want to spend over $400 though, any help would be great.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I have a Toshiba sd-4700 that I bought at Best Buy for $250 and it has DVD-Audio and progressive scan. Its a great DVD player for the price. I would definately look into it if I were you.

Paul

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kyle, JVC also makes a budget progressive-scan DVD-Audio player. Check www.crutchfield.com for more info. I have never been a fan of JVC DVD players from the standpoint of build quality, sound quality, or reliability, but some people do like them. Also, the user interface on Toshiba DVD-Audio players is not the most intuitive (i.e., compared to the Panasonic/Technics players), but again, some people do like the Toshiba units.
As for SACD, your only choice for a reasonably-priced progressive scan unit is the Sony DVP-NS900V, which Crutchfield and brick-and-mortar dealers sell for $700. You should be able to get it for less through Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770). All are authorized Sony dealers. Also, the Sony DVP-S9000ES progressive-scan DVD/SACD player is available for under $1000 these days, but it does not play multi-channel SACDs.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
For $750 you could get the new Pioneer Elite DV-47A. It is progessive scan with DVD-Audio & SACD. That way you can have both. You can get it from Soundpros.com for $750 shipping included.

I know that's more than you were going to pay but this player should hold you for awhile. It does DVD-audio & SACD & MP3. It also plays CD-Rs & CD-RWs.

It's supposed to be released anyday now.

Roderick S

Auditioning
The new Philips 962 is suppose to be out soon.
SACD/DVD-A player with Sage chip for about $600.
Here is a link to a site overseas that is selling it.
Link Removed
Looks impressive.
Seems like it is using the same DACs used in the new Outlaw 950:)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

Thanks for the info on new Sonys. I have been considering the 500 that does SACD but isn't progressive scan. I might be able to talk my wife into this one.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gary,
My understanding is that the Philips player will only offer SACD.
Ryan,
I read about the Sony 'NS755V the other day. It will be an obvious replacement for the 'NS500V. Now if Sony comes out with a progressive-scan replacement for the 'NC650V for $400, I will be very impressed.
I am also intrigued by the forthcoming Panasonic 'RP82. Looks like it will be the 'RP61 we never got, that is, if it is actually released. :)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I am also intrigued by the forthcoming Panasonic 'RP82. Looks like it will be the 'RP61 we never got, that is if it is actually released.
I am pretty much convinced that SACD will be the way to go for better music quality and selection. However, it is my opinion that we need a universal player for under $500 now, not the next generation. There has to be someone willing to put out a player (somewhere between the Pioneer universal and that embarassment that APEX put out) quality wise and price wise.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Charles, it will be some time before we see capable universal players for $500. A year ago, your only choice was the Pioneer DV-AX10, which retails for $5500, has no DSD DAC, and does not play multi-channel SACDs. Now, Pioneer is about to release the DV-47A for $1200 retail that has a DSD DAC and plays multi-channel SACD. I obviously don't know how capable and audio or video component it will be, but it is step a right direction on paper. In time, I am hopeful that Pioneer will release a non-Elite version of the '47A for $500 or even less.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I am also intrigued by the forthcoming Panasonic 'RP82. Looks like it will be the 'RP61 we never got, that is, if it is actually released.
Yup. That RP82 combined with the NS500V I've got now would make quite a dynamic duo for less than $600 retail. Add another few hundred for cables, switches and an ICBM, and you've beat the Pioneer, at least on sheer features, with no chroma bug, a Sage chip and full bass management (no time delay, though).

The early word on the Pioneer is that it's no great shakes in the performance department, at least by Elite standards, so this combo might be competitive in that arena, too, though it's obviously too soon to know.

Ryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, if the Pioneer Elite DV-47A turns out to be a dud given the price, then I agree that the 'RP82 and the 'NS500V could be a good combo. However, if the 'RP82 turns out to be the highly capable video player it is expected to be, I would get the Sony SCD-CE775 multi-channel SACD changer for $300-350 instead of the 'NS500V. Why have two DVD players when one will do the job? Also, I would prefer to have the carousel changer.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Keith, I've got one of those, too, but it's living in the music-only system at the moment. :D
Agreed, though, if I were doing this logically, that would make far more sense. I got the '500 as a DVD player primarily before I fell in love with the SACD side. If I end up getting the RP82, I might shuffle things around. Trouble is, there's a turntable living on top of the CE775 at the moment, and the 500 isn't deep enough to accomodate it.
Nothing's ever easy at my place. :)
Ryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan said:
if I were doing this logically
Since when does logic come into play with anything we do in this hobby? I mean, some people out there have subwoofers that look like garbage cans! Some even have two of them! :D
By the way, I understand about space limitations. Of course, I impose these limitations on myself. It's funny how we (at least I) always rationalize that the room is too small. It's not that we have too many toys. :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Charles et al.:
Back on February 27, Charles J P wrote:
Amen.
IMO, it has taken way too long for consumers to have more options than the first-of-its-kind, expect-it-to-be-expensive (Pioneer) DV-AX10. And there have been plenty of major SACD and DVD-A title announcements (from 'Face's The Day to Crowded House) in the approximately two years since that player's bow at its heady $5,500 price point to justify more progress on manufacturers' parts if they're thinking "content is king" and "if [the software people] build it, we will come."
The DV-47A should have three, four, five or six competitors--all for less than that piece's MSRP or even the approximately $750 one might pay for it online.
Bring it on already.
Cheers,
Paul

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yep, I'm still waiting for a sub $500 player that even remotely works in the average system (ie real bass management, time alignement and speaker balancing)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks