What is the cheapest SACD/DVD-A player w/prog scan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to upgrade to either DVD-A/SACD, and I want something that is progressive scan. It doesn't have to hold me out for too long, maybe about 3 years, or until either DVD-A or SACD takes off over the other. I really don't want to spend over $400 though, any help would be great.

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have a Toshiba sd-4700 that I bought at Best Buy for $250 and it has DVD-Audio and progressive scan. Its a great DVD player for the price. I would definately look into it if I were you.

Paul

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kyle, JVC also makes a budget progressive-scan DVD-Audio player. Check www.crutchfield.com for more info. I have never been a fan of JVC DVD players from the standpoint of build quality, sound quality, or reliability, but some people do like them. Also, the user interface on Toshiba DVD-Audio players is not the most intuitive (i.e., compared to the Panasonic/Technics players), but again, some people do like the Toshiba units.
    As for SACD, your only choice for a reasonably-priced progressive scan unit is the Sony DVP-NS900V, which Crutchfield and brick-and-mortar dealers sell for $700. You should be able to get it for less through Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770). All are authorized Sony dealers. Also, the Sony DVP-S9000ES progressive-scan DVD/SACD player is available for under $1000 these days, but it does not play multi-channel SACDs.

4. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

For $750 you could get the new Pioneer Elite DV-47A. It is progessive scan with DVD-Audio & SACD. That way you can have both. You can get it from Soundpros.com for $750 shipping included.

I know that's more than you were going to pay but this player should hold you for awhile. It does DVD-audio & SACD & MP3. It also plays CD-Rs & CD-RWs.

It's supposed to be released anyday now.

5. Roderick S

Roderick S Auditioning

The new Philips 962 is suppose to be out soon.
    SACD/DVD-A player with Sage chip for about $600.
    Here is a link to a site overseas that is selling it.
    https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dv...62sa/962sa.htm
    Looks impressive.
    Seems like it is using the same DACs used in the new Outlaw 950[​IMG]

6. Gary Hudson

Gary Hudson Auditioning

Does the Philips player do DVD-A? I thought it didn't.

G

7. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Sony has a new prog scan DVD/SACD player coming this summer for about $300.
    http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/2005
    And Panasonic's RP-82 is a Sage chip prog scan/DVD-A coming about the same time for about $280.
    Ryan

8. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Ryan,

Thanks for the info on new Sonys. I have been considering the 500 that does SACD but isn't progressive scan. I might be able to talk my wife into this one.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Gary,
    My understanding is that the Philips player will only offer SACD.
    Ryan,
    I read about the Sony 'NS755V the other day. It will be an obvious replacement for the 'NS500V. Now if Sony comes out with a progressive-scan replacement for the 'NC650V for $400, I will be very impressed.
    I am also intrigued by the forthcoming Panasonic 'RP82. Looks like it will be the 'RP61 we never got, that is, if it is actually released. [​IMG]

10. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles, it will be some time before we see capable universal players for $500. A year ago, your only choice was the Pioneer DV-AX10, which retails for $5500, has no DSD DAC, and does not play multi-channel SACDs. Now, Pioneer is about to release the DV-47A for $1200 retail that has a DSD DAC and plays multi-channel SACD. I obviously don't know how capable and audio or video component it will be, but it is step a right direction on paper. In time, I am hopeful that Pioneer will release a non-Elite version of the '47A for $500 or even less.

12. Charles J P

CJ Paul

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles said:

14. Ryan Spaight

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan, if the Pioneer Elite DV-47A turns out to be a dud given the price, then I agree that the 'RP82 and the 'NS500V could be a good combo. However, if the 'RP82 turns out to be the highly capable video player it is expected to be, I would get the Sony SCD-CE775 multi-channel SACD changer for $300-350 instead of the 'NS500V. Why have two DVD players when one will do the job? Also, I would prefer to have the carousel changer.

16. Ryan Spaight

Keith, I've got one of those, too, but it's living in the music-only system at the moment. [​IMG]
    Agreed, though, if I were doing this logically, that would make far more sense. I got the '500 as a DVD player primarily before I fell in love with the SACD side. If I end up getting the RP82, I might shuffle things around. Trouble is, there's a turntable living on top of the CE775 at the moment, and the 500 isn't deep enough to accomodate it.
    Nothing's ever easy at my place. [​IMG]
    Ryan

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan said:

18. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Charles et al.:
    Back on February 27, Charles J P wrote:

19. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yep, I'm still waiting for a sub $500 player that even remotely works in the average system (ie real bass management, time alignement and speaker balancing)