What is the cheapest receiver with pre-outs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by EdNichols, Sep 11, 2003.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I want to start building a new system from the speakers back. I also want to have an idea of what the whole system might cost once I am finished. That being the case I have an idea of what I want for my speakers and possibly an amp. But pre-amps are high. Right now the receiver I have does not have pre-outs, so when I buy a new amp unless I get a pre-amp or receiver with pre-outs at the same time I will be out of luck. I know I won't be able to swing the amp and pre-amp at the same time so I am looking to buy a cheaper receiver with pre-outs until I can swing what I want. Anybody have suggestions on a cheap(but decent) receiver with pre-outs?

2. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

there's always the refurbished Harman Kardon 520 or 320, which come with a full factory warranty (2 years) and 30 day return policy:

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...er=AVR%20320-Z

I've been using one of these for about a year now as a pre/pro and it has worked fine for me. There's a lot of information on the board here about these 2 models as well - positive and negative. I'd re-purchase mine based on my experiences with it, however.

Used strictly as a pre/pro I don't think there's any advantage to the 520 over the 320 - the 520 has a higher power rating and the cool feature of having direct pre-inputs for each amp channel (bypassing its own internal preamp section) so you can reassign its internal amps to whatever you want to do with them, but if you aren't going to use the internal amps then there isn't any difference between the two.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Practically every manufacturer now has pre-outs on most models, with the exception of the bottom 1 or 2 models. Pick your poison in your price range.

4. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Chris, what are you using as amp(s) with your H/K as a pre/pro?

John,
    You may be right. I am mostly familiar with Onkyo since I have a lower end unit and I know that it and the next couple in line do not have pre-outs. I don't know about other brands though.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Ed -

I had an HK 520 that I used as a pre/pro on an Outlaw 750 for a bit. It worked like a charm. For cheapest possible, get the HK 320 as it is the exact same pre/pro guts, just a weaker amp section than the 520. You can find 320s real cheap here on HTF and such, and since you don't care about the power rating it is a perfect match.

6. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

Ed - I P.M.'d you all the gory details.

7. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Awe yes, the preout search. When I was hunting this summer I needed preamps for all channels and two comp in and one out. Hard to find in my $500 budget. I knew that Pioneer had it on the $399 VSX-D912K (and $299 812K), but I already had a Pio for the last ten years and wanted something else. Yamaha ended up fitting the bill. The RX-V640 has all of what I need and more. It ended up costing me $440 and it sounds and looks great. Sound quality and power wise, it destroys my old Pio.

As mentioned above, the Pio also has what you're looking for and will probably be the cheapest. For Onkyo, H/K, and Denon, you're looking at $799 new to have preamps. I believe Marantz also has a model that is $499 or cheaper that has preamps, but no componenet video ins/outs. So, choose your poison. I personally found for my application, the Yamaha was absolutely unbeatable.

Good Luck,
    Lee

8. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

You can get the HK 325 new for $422 on the deals page from Onecall. It has 7.1 pre outs plus Logic 7, DTS:Neo, DPLII, DD-EX and DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix, plus 5 & 7 channel stereo. That's pretty much everything with the exception of the new DPLIIx that's coming out. Should make a good pre/pro.

You could also get the HK 320 or 510 from harmanaudio.com for $398. The 320 has 7.1 preouts while the 510 has 5.1 preout plus main-ins, if you care. But I guess you won't need those if you're only using it as a pre pro.

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

The cheapest Receiver's I've seen with 7.1 Pre-Outs are:

JVC RX-8030VBK $256.99 at www.etronics.com

Kenwood VR-7070 $314.99 at Etronics

The JVC Only comes in black & has DTS 96/24

The Kenwood Only comes in silver & is a THX Select Receiver

You can view both of the back panels at www.crutchfield.com

While your on Crutchfield's site you might want to check other receivers for them like Pioneer & etc.

10. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I'm going to be putting my near mint Yamaha DSP-A1 integrated amp up for sale soon. Bought an EAD Ovation Plus Pre/Pro so I will not be using this true HT megalith of a couple years ago.

So it may well be one of the best and cheapest receivers with pre-outs you will see for awhile.

I will send it back to Tweeter (2-3 weeks or so) for an under warranty cleaning and "tune-up" (whatever that means to Tweeter 8*) and then list it for about $825. No sure on the price yet, but I will not overprice. This is the Champagne finish model and looks as new, as it was treated with kid gloves.

Anyway, just my passing comments on your thread and search.

BOK