What is the Break-in period??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin_Su, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Calvin_Su

Calvin_Su Stunt Coordinator

I hear that TVs shouldn't be calibrated until the break in period, which is 100 hours.

What exactly is this, and does it mean 100 actual viewing hours, or just 100 hours after the set is plugged in?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It's hours-of-use. When you turn it on, things heat up which can affect the electronics and alignment. The electronics usually steady out in about 30 minutes, but over the first 100 hours the alignnment will become more and more consistant one time to the next.

So turn down the sharpness & brightness with the user-controls and enjoy for about a month or two before paying a tech to do a professional calibration.

3. Calvin_Su

Calvin_Su Stunt Coordinator

Thanks.

Does the picture quality improve in this period?

4. Jon Alan

Jon Alan Auditioning

Bob - don't you mean turn down the "contrast" and brightness? Although, sharpness is usually set too high out of the box as well.

5. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

From what I uderstand, and what I did, it's better to do short periods of 4 hours on, and 30 minutes off to let the set cool down. For my 65HDX82, the PQ did improve a lot. I was skeptical at first, but after 300 hours, SD-brodcast and DVD are better, less grainy, and simply "better".

If you are considering ISF calibration, then you should aim for a 200-300 hours. Just to be sure nothing goes wrong, and paying for nothing for this calibration. Usually, a period of 2 to 3 months is a safe bet. My ISF calibrator did actually refuse to do the calibration before 2 months of break-in.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

7. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

RE: Turning down the contrast

>>>Perhaps... most TV's have their settings turned too high so if the unit is picked to be a demo unit on a sales-floor, it will stand out. Contrast is another setting that is set too high to help the display look sharp to a potential buyer.