What's new

What is the big difference between the Panasonic RP91 and the XP50? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Sorry to keep posting new threads but want to make a wise decision in my purchase of a new dvd player. I am almost sold on these two units but want to know what the major difference is. What makes the 91 worth $699.95 compared to the XP50 at $349.95? The video performance looks to be identical. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You should be able to find an RP-91 for a lot less money than $700. Many places are selling them on closeout for less than $400. You may want to check www.onecall.com (call their toll free number for the best price).

The RP-91 has a built-in scaler that is very useful if you have a 16x9 TV. This feature will provide superior video quality for non-anamorphic widescreen discs and simplify viewing of supplemental material.

The XP50 is supposed to be identical in video quality to the discontinued RP-82. The RP-82 handles video-based (as opposed to film-based) material in a superior manner to the RP-81, which can comb more often on such material.

I own a RP-91 and a 16x9 television. I have grown so fond of the unit's scaler that I will look for this feature in any future player upgrade.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Scott, thanks for the info. How good is the image on anamorphic dvd's? Most dvd's are anamorphic these days so that is very important.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
ummm... audio? build quality? durability? looks? "cool factor?

not sure about the audio part, never played with the XP50.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks