What's new

What is the best way to take pictures of images on your TV? (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
I'm trying to capture some stills from a movie which is in my DVD player which is hooked up to my direct-view 36-inch HD-ready TV. What is the best way to do this? I know a tripod is required, but don't know what shutter speed(s), aperture(s) and lighting condition(s) are best...

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Worst comes to worst, you can always get a graphics card with "TV-capture."

(for computer, of course...)

-Bert

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
If the image is moving, try 1/30 second shutter speed. If it's fixed, slow it down to 1/15. These low speeds will ensure you catch the entire image scan, not half an image scan. On a progressive scan TV set, you may be able to get away with going as fast as 1/60 sec.

You'll need to experiment a bit in order to find the best shutter speed. The shutter speed of most cameras is rarely calibrated properly even among the more expensive models.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
As far as lighting conditions, I think you have to turn all the lights in the room off, and disable the flash.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Allan,

For a number of reasons, what you are trying to do generally won't work very well and will just be frustrating. You are much better finding a way to get captures electronically and printing them if you want them that way.

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
Hey Allen here are some suggestions on how to take screen shot. All these are for use with a 35mm SLR

a tripod

A Cable release Or self timer

100 speed film

Make sure the room is dark

Pause the movie on the best scene Focus on the TV.

Set your exposure to 60th or 30th of a second. or just experiment with shutter speeds and F stops. maybe 30th at f2.0 or 3.5 or 5.6 try them all and one of them will work. It is better to slightly over expose the shot because you can always take away light from a picture you cant add it (underexposure)

set the self timer. This will allow the camera to stop shaking. and then do it all again.

I Used this method when I did a Photo shoot for Tweeter I guess they came out pretty good, they used my shots in TWICE magazine

GOOD LUCK

Kevin P

Screenwriter
With my digital camera I'll take one picture with the flash and one without. Then I'll merge the TV image from the no-flash picture with the background from the flash picture. Works pretty well, especially if a tripod is used to take the two pictures.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kp100
Recent bookmarks