What's new

What is the best way to run speaker wire under carpet? (1 Viewer)

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
to run regular 12ga home depot speaker wire under carpet? This will be a burber-type carpet without a pad. Is this wire to thick to lay under that type of carpet? How would I go about runing the wire after the carpet is already down? Thanks.

In the past, I used to extend the wire under the lip of the baseboard. You need to make sure that the nails under the board doesn't go through the sheathing. Even with a pad, you can still feel where the line is. That's about all I can think of.

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
I bought some 12-gauge super thin flat Monster cable from Circuit City its about the thicknes of a quarter, I have meduim shag carpet and i could feel and see where it was at first(runs down the middle of the living room) and after a couple of weeks of walking on it it i could no longer feel nor see it. It has been a year since i installed it and had forgoten that it was there.

To run the wire i used an electrical fish tape, also make sure to move any furniture around(at least five feet from) where youll be running it as it tends to hang up along the way, it may take several tries. Also when pulling the wire it will tend to twist if it does re-run it because if its not flat you will feel and see it every time you walk across the carpet.

Good Luck

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response guys. I was a little concerned that it might be too thick, but hopefully as it was for Rik, it will flatten as it's walked on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks