What's new

What is the best way to make LARGE sums of money in short periods of time? LEGAL WAYS (1 Viewer)

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
The price on Osama's head is 15 million right now. I say we get a small contingent of the HTF posse to go over there and get him. I have a personal beef with Mr. Bin Laden. Since he cost me my job.
Kevin C. :)

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
Are we talking about legal ways to make money? Nothing makes money like drugs and whores.
------------------
The trick to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I've got a couple of Excel spreadsheet that I've been refining over the past four years. They track a particular futures market and tell me what orders to place to get in and out of a trade. All orders are stops, placed each day before the market opens, so no constant monitoring of the market is required. Every day, I just check my spreadsheets and place the orders they tell me to place.
In the past four years, my "Long" spreadsheet has yielded 142 trades with an average of 42 points per trade. (Each point in the market I trade in is worth $4.00, so I averaged $168 per trade, less commission.) Only five out of sixteen contract months produced a loss.
In the past four years, my "Short" spreadsheet has yielded only 13 trades, but they averaged 209 points (or $836) per trade, and only one (yes, one) contract month in the past four years produced a loss. Some contract months had no trades, however.
Is that enough money for you?

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Why is Alaskan King Crab fishing so dangerous? What does it involve that makes it more risky than other kinds of fishing? Somebody enlighten a poor Kentucky mountain boy.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Why not just self-publish your own book and sell it through mail order? It's nice and legal and you have a way of getting rich (and kinda sorta famous) without taking a HUUUUUUGE risk. There is some risk involved (and only takes a few grand to get started), of course, but it's better than some of the other, more dangerous jobs out there!
wink.gif

EDIT: I'm currently in the process of working on my book and I aim to finally have it published within the next year. Of course, you might want to check out the book "The Self-Publishing Manual: How To Print, Write, And Sell Your Own Book" by Dan Poynter.
Obligatory Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...114328-3679123
------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
[Edited last by Brian Harnish on October 05, 2001 at 03:59 AM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Stacy, deep-sea fishing has always been a terribly dangerous profession. Risk of injury, death, dealing with extreme cold and very long hours is an everyday occurance. The North Sea (the bit inbetween the UK and Scandanavia) is known as oneof the most hostile stretches of water in the world. If you end up in the sea during winter, you have about 30-60 seconds. Any longer than that and the hypothermia is too far gone to be treatable. Alaskan waters are all (?) Arctic, so I'd imagine it's similar if not worse.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Head to Atlantic City or Vegas (hey, you said legal) and bet the entire farm against the Buffalo Bills or the Washington Redskins.
To date, I don't believe either has beaten the spread, and their futures look dim.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
BrianW, by your figures that means you made about $6000 per year on the long trades, and about $3000 per year on the short ones. You only have 107 more years until you make a million. So I'd say "No, that's not enough money for me."
tongue.gif

------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Are we talking about legal ways to make money? Nothing makes money like drugs and whores.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
... That was hilarious. Completely inappropriate and politically incorrect, but hilarious nonetheless. Thanks for the laugh.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
quote: BrianW, by your figures that means you made about $6000 per year on the long trades, and about $3000 per year on the short ones.[/quote]Craig, I detailed just the amount per contract traded. You can trade as many simultaneous contracts as you can afford. If you trade two contracts every time, you double your profits (or losses). Trading only one contract in a futures market is like buying only one share of stock in a company, albeit a futures contract is much more highly leveraged. And with each success, you can reinvest your winnings to add more contracts with the next trade, making your profits rise somewhat exponentially. And there's nothing stopping you from trading futures contracts in multiple markets, just like there's nothing stopping you from buying stock in several companies at once.
Why limit yourself?
[Edited last by BrianW on October 05, 2001 at 01:01 PM]

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I don't see how they could spend 50-100k on fuel. I don't see any reason why those boats would have more than maybe an 800hp diesel.
Aaron

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
1) Get the US government to decriminalize pot.
2) Get your state to decriminalize pot.
3) Get your city to decriminalize pot.
4) Grow pot (it's easy).
5) Sell pot (there are plenty of buyers).
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Chris White

Second Unit
In Florida, with a mere $1 investment you can make $4 million in just one day. There are a few things to keep in mind however:

[*]To play FLORIDA LOTTO, pick six numbers from 1 through 53 on your FLORIDA LOTTO play slip, or mark the Quick Pick box and let the terminal randomly pick some or all of your numbers for you. [*]Players win FLORIDA LOTTO prizes by matching three, four, five or six of the winning numbers, in any order, drawn in the official drawing for the date played. FLORIDA LOTTO is a pari-mutuel game: Actual prize amounts depend on sales and the number of winners in each prize category. If no FLORIDA LOTTO ticket matches all six winning numbers, the jackpot "rolls over," and the cash in the jackpot prize pool is carried over to the next drawing. [*]You are responsible for the accuracy of your ticket(s). [*]Drawings are held Wednesday and Saturday evenings at 11:00 p.m. Eastern time, and carried on 13 Lottery affiliate stations. [*]FLORIDA LOTTO pays multimillion-dollar jackpot prizes. The advertised jackpot is an estimate of the amount the Lottery will pay a single jackpot ticket in 30 annual payments, based on projected sales for that draw period, plus funds rolled over from previous drawings if any, and the anticipated interest rate for long-term investments. [*]The Cash Option payout is each jackpot ticket's portion of the prize pool that is available immediately for investment. Cash Option payouts are approximately half of the advertised jackpot amount. Appropriate federal income taxes will be withheld from both lump-sum and Annual Payments at the time payments are made. [*]Winners who want to receive their FLORIDA LOTTO jackpot in a single Cash Option payment must claim their prizes within the first 60 days of the redemption period. If a jackpot prize is not claimed within the first 60 days of the redemption period, it will be paid out in 30 Annual Payments. [*]Advance Play is available for up to 52 consecutive drawings (26 weeks). If you claim a prize on a winning Advance Play ticket before all of the draws on the ticket have occurred, you will be issued a replacement ticket for the remaining draws with the same play numbers as the original ticket. [*]Please remember: All prizes must be claimed within 180 days of the applicable draw date. [*]You must be familiar with an abide by all http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0024/titl0024.htm&StatuteYear=2000&Title=%2D%3E2000%2D%3EChapter%2024

------------------
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/theater.htm

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think working a king crab boat is a great deal if you wanna work REAL hard a few months and fuckoff the rest of the year :)
too easy to get tossed off, or get a cable wrapped around your leg or a hook. By the time they realize you're gone you're dead.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I don't see how they could spend 50-100k on fuel. I don't see any reason why those boats would have more than maybe an 800hp diesel.
Fuel, and food, and other supplies that need to be purchased each time you go out... Yeah, you could go 50-100k easily on a large boat. How many gallons of fuel do those bad boys hold? My buddy has a 28 foot Bayliner that holds over 100 gallons and he can burn that up in a couple days of cruising. Now look at a 100 foot fishing boat running basically nonstop for a couple of weeks at a shot...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The bottom line is: if there was a (relatively) easy way to make LARGE sums of money in a short time - would you know many people who wouldn't be busy doing it?
Anyone advising you how to gain a lot of money (e.g. investment consultants) wouldn't be in that business if their advice worked for sure.
Cees
(To put it in a different way: any sum of money that can be made rather simply in a short amount of time would by definition not be considered a LARGE sum of money).
wink.gif

C.
[Edited last by Cees Alons on October 05, 2001 at 06:42 PM]

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Cees I know people who enjoy making money with other peoples money. I think it is also less stressful to spend other peoples money than to spend your own.
Aaron

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
My ex use to make about $200-$300 a day and about $300-$600 on the weekends.
And it was legal , but dont touch :)
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
You could look into what Carlton Sheets, Don Lapre and others of that ilk (where are those damned midget twins?) and see what they have to offer.
What? Making infomercials and fleecing the public to buy their moneymaking systems?
I almost fell off my chair the first time I saw those midget twins... And if they make so much money, you'd think they would hire a video production company that knew the difference between drop frame and non-drop frame time code. Or maybe they want to see how many stations will let them have an extra three seconds of airtime.
= Derek =

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks