1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Best way to clean dvd's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Kalon, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

What is the best way to clean DVD's?

I have tried plain water and that doesn't work very well.

What about those cleaning kits that you can buy that has some pads and a cleaning solution? Do they work well?

And what is the best procedure about cleaning dvd's?

Do you go straight from the center to the outside or what?

What kind of cloth do you use dry them off with?

I am thinking about doing "spring cleaning" and wish to clean all my dvd's.

Any help is appreaciated.

2. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
  3. KimK

KimK Stunt Coordinator

I just use whatever shirt I'm wearing [​IMG]

4. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Does the Disc Doctor really work? I have been thinking about it for a long time but have never heard from anyone that uses one.

5. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Go to a blockbuster and ask. Most of them use it on thier CD-based games and DVD's.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Whoa, hold on there now! The Disc Doctor removes small amounts of plastic in order to remove scratches, I wouldn't recommend using it regularly just to clean your discs.
    I use a very soft cloth (like the type you would use for glasses, or similar) and a solution of water, alcohol & glass cleaner, always wiping from the center hole out to the edge.

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Its been noted I think in Wide Screen Review or some other big magazine and I do this also, Just clean it with a mild dish liquid soap. I just rub them lightly with my thumb while under warm water and then rinse it off and place it on a dry towel and fold the other side up on top. I actually use Viva paper towels.

Wes

8. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    I am just wondering, why would you need to clean your discs just for the heck of it? I mean unless a particular disc has smudge marks or something, there is absolutely no reason to clean them just as a regular ritual of ;spring cleaning'. If you handle your discs well, which I presume you do, then you really don't need to clean them.

But in case you do decide to or need to clean a particular disc, then use any CD cleaning fluid and wipe the disc inside out with a soft cloth. Unless it is a scratch that yuo are trying to repair, you should not rub the disc too hard and/or use any product like 'Disc doctor'.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

9. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

10. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Microfiber cloth works wonders. It will not scratch or leave a residue of any kind. It's available at any optician (glasses dispensor) and is fairly inexpensive.

You can rub your dvd or cd's in any direction without worry.

Highly recommended.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Yes, I was wondering about DVD Disc cleaning procedures myself.
    Now ..... Can anybody tell me the best way to clean my VHS tapes?? I suddenly have an unnatural desire to disassemble every one of my hundreds of VHS tapes and individually polish every inch of magnetic tape! But how should I do it?? It'll take forever I suppose. Cripe! [​IMG]

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sanjay points this issue into the correct direction: Don't let your DVDs get dirty in the first place! An occasional slip-up and resulting smudge is understandable, but why should a DVD library require a "spring cleaning" in the first place?

If you're renting a lot of discs, then cleaning definitely becomes a necessity. Use am extremely soft optical cloth and mild detergent/distilled water solution, and wipe from the center outward, perpendicular to the pit tracks.

13. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I just load mine up in the dishwasher....well, my few P&S's that is, since they get dirty being used as coasters.