What's new

What is the best way to clean DVDs (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Using soft hand soap and warm water has always worked for me. As for getting rid of very small scratches, I use Meguiars Swirl reducer and car wax. Works on CDs and DVDs. Be careful with how hard you press though cause you can actually scratch the thing worse if you press too hard.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know if its safe to use water to clean a laserdisc? I just got the orignial Bedazzled on LD, and it is in good condition, but does have some stuff dried on it that needs to be cleaned off...

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Here is what I do-
I have a spray mist bottle (manufactured for plant care available at most garden stores) filled with distilled water.
I use Bounty "Select-A-Size" paper towel because it is a soft grade/texture and is not at all linty. I lightly mist a sheet of paper towel with the distilled water. I first wipe any visible lint or dust very lightly from the center out, using no pressure. Turn the towel and wipe lightly in a circular motion polishing off any finger prints etc.
You can moisten a paper towel sheet heavier if there is any thing stuck on (rentals) and for more stubborn fingerprints, then go over it with a clean lightly misted paper towel sheet to dry it off. I have never used any soap etc., really have not found a need to experiment...just distilled water!
I would avoid or not use cheaper paper towels. The Bounty paper towel does not seem to scratch but it should always be lightly misted with the distilled water and minimal pressure only should be applied, depending on how "dirty" the disc is. I've tested Bounty dry on a disc I didn't care about and applied moderate pressure, still didn't scratch. But I still would avoid using it dry.
If you mist the paper towel sheet lightly it will leave no residue or water marks on the disc, you will have no need to wipe the disc dry.
To avoid circular scrathes, alway wipe (lightly) any visible particles from the center out first before polishing off a disc in a circular motion.
This is how I've always done it ever since the laser disc days and my collection it quite pristine. I have been tempeted to buy the wipes but by successfully using this method all along, I haven't felt the need.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I've tried a few professional cleaner kits but it is my finding that the best solution is to steam the disc up with your breath and then gently wipe with a soft flannel shirt.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Canned air. Breath and shirt if necessary. Rentals get alcohol and paper towels.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bill,
Honestly, it takes very little effort to NOT get any crud on your discs, particularly fingerprints. Prevention is the best solution.
On rentals, I use the moistened eyeglass cleaning tissues you can usually get for virtually nothing at membership clubs. Leave them folded as they come out of the package and just run them gently in a straight line from center to edge.

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
I use pre-moistened reading glass cleaning tissues, available at drug stores and stores that sell glasses and sunglasses. They are supposed to be better for glasses than facial tissues. I am hoping (but do not really know) that they are also better for discs.
------------------
"If you set aside Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, the safety record of nuclear is really very good." Paul O'Neill, Treasury Secretary.

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
I use liquid car wax. Apply to both sides, after the wax is dry remove with a soft cloth. This will fill any scratches, and works great on CD's, playstation. Make sure you remove all residue so it does not end up in your machine! :)
------------------
Bruce
www.dvdtracker.com/~bruceabar.asp

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hello - dug this out from the search engine...
I just wondered if there were any UK users of this Playwright product out there. It looks ideal to me but the European site is trying to charge €25 + €12 for postage to the UK, which is about £22.
Anyone have a cheaper alternative for the UK or is this really the sort of money I'm going to have to pay.
Cheers
Theo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks