What's new

What is the best way at adjusting color bars on a computer monitor? (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Hi, lately I've been busy creating color presets for DVDs using my ATI X800's video adjustment software. It's mostly being a success however I've been running into some problems with getting contrast levels right, namely on older Criterion titles like Brazil and ones that use the THX Optimode (IE: not the Optimizer) test signal packages.

Any experts here have suggestions to guide an intermediate like myself through this?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What is the problem you're running into?

Keep in mind things are a bite more complicated in the PC environment because unless you're using the right renderer, right drivers etc, a lot of times the video range gets re-mapped to the Graphics range, so this can cause difficulty or confusion as pattern elements get clipped off, etc. And then if you ARE properly rendering video with Studio levels, calibration to that will be different than for graphics levels, the GUI, games, etc, anything else you do on the PC.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
oh, the link in my signature works again, so you can read through that it discusses a bit of graphics/studio levels issues. The links in it are dead though, you have to manually change to archive or archive2 prefix. I can also link you to a post with fixed links if you don't figure it out.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its a problem with contrast, most of these color bars I've been dealing with were designed for older tubes in mind and there is no way to get it "just right" since you can't expose any scanlines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks