What is the best video card for this set-up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Clarno, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Chris Clarno

Chris Clarno Agent

Christian
    I am running an HP Pavillion PIII 800MHz currently running with 128MB But I'll soon bump that up to 256 or maybe even 512. I have a 30 GB drive installed and plan to ad an 80GB external firewire drive later. I've got a DVD drive and a good sound card. I am satisfied with DVD performance thus far but I would like to add a TV tuner to use in conjunction with a DishNetwork receiver. I'd also like PVR functionality. I have seen the Raedeon "All-In-Wonder" cards (7500 + 8500) and they look good. (8500 may be overkill for me since I'm not a gamer). I've also seen a card from Xtacy called the "Everything 5564" at Fry's. I'm looking to spend about $200 (+/-) Can anyone recomend a good card and perhaps a few on-line resources? Thanks for your help.

Regards~ Christian

P.S. I'm also looking for a good 5.1 speaker set-up. I'm currently looking at Polk Audio's AM-R130, any thoughts?

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I would go with the ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500. It has the exact same features of the 8500dv only with a less powerfull GPU. You can get it here for $175.
    As far as a speaker system, if 4.1 will do ckeck out the Logitech Z560.

3. Chris Clarno

Chris Clarno Agent

Christian
    THanks for the reply! That's one of the cards that I've been thinking about and that price seems very reasonable. Anyone else have suggestions before I make the purchase?