What is the best size Projection TV for 7" viewing distance?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_G, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Al_G

Al_G Auditioning

I want to get a projection TV since they are practically the same price as decent tube TVs, and because the big size would be good for my fairly horrible vision. What would be the best size TV to get if I was sitting 7 feet away from the screen?

2. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

AL,

I think most people here would tell you that at 7 feet about the biggest RPTV you should use is a 40". However, I have a 50" widescreen set, and my viewing distance is about 8 feet at the most, and I think it's just fine. Remember, though, that progressive scan displays and, especially, HD displays, let you sit closer than interlaced standard definition sets.

Get yourself a tape measure, go to a store that has various sized good sets on display, and measure out 7 feet from each and see what you think.

Good luck!

3. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

This is a personal judgement but like Chris I sit 8' from a 50" set. I moved to 7' and I loved the impact but my wife objected and in truth I felt a little foolish, like a kid with his nose pressed to the screen. On the other hand, one person once responded to a question along these lines by claiming that he watched a 120" screen from 7' away.

By the way, love the topic header: "What is the best Projection TV for 7" viewing distance?" Reminds me of the stonehenge set in Spinal Tap.

4. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Al, I have a 40" widescreen set and I sit around 6-7 feet from the picture. I have no problems but I think I would if the tv was even a few inches bigger. However the other guys mention sitting almost that close to a 50" set so it might be ok. Probably depends on the quality of the television. A blowout 999.00 GE 50" set would probably look bad unless you were about 10-12 feet from it but a nice HDTV set with a progressive scan DVD would look clean at a much closer range. Go to your area electronics store and try to approximate your viewing distance and see how it looks.

5. chris frazier

chris frazier Auditioning

I would say it depends on what type of programming you are going to be viewing. Are you buying an analog or digital set? If you're viewing HDTV or DVD on a HD-ready set, you could go up to 55" no problem. SD will look kinda rough from this distance. If you are going to buy an analog set (as cheap as Hd sets are, a waste ofmoney) a good rule of thumb is 4 times the screen height.

I sit 10 ft from a 55" widescreen, I could see watching HD from 7 ft.

6. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I sit 7' from my 47" widescreen and I feel it is perfect. I could probably have gotten away with a 50" if it would have fit.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would say perhaps a 6" display would be the optimum size screen when viewed from 7". [​IMG]

8. Al_G

Al_G Auditioning

thanks for all the help guys
    I think i'm going with an analog set simply because of nobody knowing what the final HDTV regulations and format will be!! Or so I hear... Also I really don't think it's worth all the money for HDTV yet, I just play games and watch TV/movies on there every now and then.
    I have narrowed it down to 2 choices, I don't have a very significant cash flow here, so please don't insult the quality of these TVs [​IMG]
    Toshiba 43A61
    Toshiba 43A10
    Philips 43P8341
    which one would be the best?