What is the best s-video I can buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anh Pham, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Anh Pham

Anh Pham Auditioning

I need recommendations on what is the best S-Video cable available and where I can buy it online.

I just bought a Malata 520 DVD player and since I own a 20-inch Sony Wega which only offers a S-Video connection (and unfortuantely no component connections) I have to make do with whatever the kind people here can suggest.

Thanks for reading, ya'll!

P.S. What do you guys think of me getting a Monster Cable?

2. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

I have a couple of 6 meter M500V cables for sale if you want them... I switched to VGA cable when I got my plasma so I don't use them any more...

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

personally, i feel monster is way over-priced / hyped for the quality of wire you get. i'm partial to the acoustic research pro-series cables which you can purchase from accessories4less.com. they are of comparable quality and about half the price. one member stated that he had very positive results with the nordost optix s-video cable but that may be a bit out of your price range for a cable.
    kevin t

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i second the AR cables. i use an AR performance series s-video cable and it works great with my wega. go for the pro sereis at the aformentioned website.

5. Anh Pham

Anh Pham Auditioning

I just checked out the acoustic research cables and they are very tempting.

Would it be worth it if I got the Master Series instead of the Pro Series or would that decision be a waste of money?

6. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I would have recomended the Rhinocables.com s-video cables but they are no longer offered. If you want the best I'd look at the Nordost Optix s-video cables.

7. tom j r

tom j r Agent

Also check out Bettercables.com. There may even be a banner advertisement in this forum (I know they are in others withing HTF).

I have several of their older offerings and feel they are comparable to much more costly cables. Even after 2 years the color on my Sony 32 inch direct view is still superb (calibrated with Avia).

Tom

8. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Although the Nordost cables receive and deserve excellent reviews, they are not cheap. For the cheap bang for the buck s-video cable, I would suggest cables utilizing Belden 1808A. Bluejeans, Wicked, Cobalt ..... they all use 1808A.