What is the BEST RPTV for $2500.. and why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Garvey, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Tom Garvey

Tom Garvey Stunt Coordinator

Or are they all created equal?

I'm looking to purchase a RPTV next month.. So far.. I am looking at the Mitsubishi 55311 (I think) and Toshiba 57H82. It seems these two are talked about most. What else should I consider?

Please help me understand why I would choose one over the other.

2. Jon Sciabica

Jon Sciabica Agent

check out the panny PT-53wx52. Sells for around $2100, great deal.

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

or the 53WX42, which sells for around $1700. the only difference between the 42 and the 52 is that the 52 has 4 speakers (doesn't matter if you have external speakers) and a screen shield (glare generator).

rather than pick solely by price, figure out your requirements (screen size, features, etc) and find a TV that fits them. then check that TV out to see if you like it. but keep in mind that most TVs on display at stores are very poorly set up.

4. Tom Garvey

Thanks for the replies guys..
    How about the Toshiba 50HDX82? I'm leaning toward this one.
    Others I'm considering are:
    Samsung - HCM553WX
    Panasonic - PT 56WX42
    Sony - KP57HW40
    Mitsubishi - WS-55311
    Toshiba - 57H82
    Which would you choose and why? Something else?

5. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

The sony you listed is last year's model. It's a good TV but it's been replaced and is not as feature-laden as the others you've listed. Out of your choices, personally, I would go for either the Tosh 50HDX82 or the Panny 56WX42. That's a big difference in screen size, but in theory the Tosh would have better image quality. Plus the Tosh HDX will have DVI in if you care about that.

6. Tom Garvey

7. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i prefer the picture quality of the sony. im not sure about the 57 inch, but the 51 inch that was just like it is also being replaced by a model with more features, dvi, and is $100 cheaper.

8. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I highly prefer the Mitsubishi sets over Toshiba and Sony. Just had the chance to see the picture quality of one of the new Mits's (I believe it was the $2599.99 model). I was blown away. The Tosh's have a problem with upconverting from 480p to 540p. Of course, this will introduce artifacts into the picture. However, they shouldn't be that noticeable.

The Mitsubishi's do tend to have a bit too much red push out of the box, so some tweaking is required; you can get rid of the red push, though. It's a choice you're going to have to make -- do you prefer having a 540p upconversion that you can't fix OR...would you rather have native 480p with a red push that you *can* fix? For me, the choice is clear as far as Mitsubishi is concerned. One of the Mits's is going to be my next major TV purchase.

9. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

There is an age old debate between the Mits and Tosh lovers. I do not have either, however, I think you can distill the argument down to

1. Mits may look slightly better on DVD's and HD
    2. Tosh looks better on NTSC (and the stretch modes).

So, if you TV will be dedicated for Home Theater only, a Mits would be a good choice. If it is going to be "the family tv" then the Tosh will probably be the best fit.