What is the best reciever for 100W/ch?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Roger, May 13, 2004.

1. John Roger

John Roger Stunt Coordinator

What is the best reciever for 100W/ch? on a medium budget.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What does "medium" budget mean? $300, $500, $750? What speakers and size of room?

3. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i don't know.

what's the best flavor ice cream?

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If your speakers have a 93dB efficiency, you could power them with 50 watts at the equivalent level of a 100 watt receiver with 90dB efficient speakers.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

stereo or multi-channel?

7. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

Without hesitation, I recommend any Harman Kardon receiver. I can't imagine watching any movie or TV show without my AVR 7000. The sound is fantastic. After work, I live on Logic 7.

Of course, there are some things I wish that it could do -- some features here, some things there. But these quibbles have only been minor, and none affect my actual needs.

Further, customer service is first rate. They are quite generous if you are having problems. (Or they have been with me.) I just e-mailed a problem to them yesterday; and even though I am out-of-warranty, they have today offered to cover most, if not all, repair costs.

Depending upon your budget, you may want to look into the refurbished models on their web site, www.harmanaudio.com. Or even e-mail them for recommendations. They get back to you very quickly. I am thinking about getting one of their amps and CD players to expand my current system.

Sometimes, such ambiguous requests signal someone who is impatient and anxious. Don't rush to spend your money. Check out the primer. Read up.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

8. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I agree with John. I have a Harman/Kardon myself which is an AVR-225 that only delivers some 55W per channel, but numbers are not all for power. Harman rates there recievers 20HZ-20Khz while most other manufacturers rate at a 1KHz tone. So in reality Harman is usually more efficient. If you see a Sony reciever that says 100W per channel x 5, it's probably more like 30W per channel, if even that. Don't believe every sticker you see. After all, you will be playing more than a 1KHz tone now won't you?

Take a look around but I seriously recommend Harman. Customer support is also first rate.

9. John Roger

I mean dts dolby reciever.I currently own a sony(slim one) only 40W/ch.I am plannin to buy big speakers.So that would be a problem right?
    Budget around 200 - 300.

10. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

When you say "big speakers", what speakers are you looking into? Are these the front's you are talking about, or just a "big surround system". Just let us know some specifics and we'll be happy to help you out! Good luck!

Mike

11. John Roger

I am thinking about bookshelfs mostly or towers(budget) for fronts.

What about Sony and Onkyo?Mine is a small room I need more sound quality than loudness.Will 100W be fine?

12. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Stay away from Sony. Onkyo makes some nice stuff.

Harman Kardon is RATED at lower watts, but they are very high current. It is like a diesel engine. Low horsepower, but a HUGE amount of torque, so it will just as 'fast' and a lot more satisfying.

Power is the LAST thing you should worry about. Decent receivers will power most speakers (in your 'small' room) to high levels.

13. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

$200-300? Your choices are limited and I doubt any receivers in this price range will be a noticable improvement over what you have. Suggest you stay where you are and save up six or seven hundred dollars to get a real upgrade.

14. John Roger

My systems good but when i upgrade to bigger speakers it will be a prob only 40W.
    Of course there should some good brands that fit into that budget like onkyo for eg?

15. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

16. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

What about the new line of Yamaha's? I hear a lot of good things about the 5760 & 5790?

17. John Roger

It came with the sony HT-SL5 package.Five satellites and a sub.The sats are 3inch full range woofers.It didn't sound very good to me.I think it had to do with the speakers being one way and the huge size difference with the sub. My creative multimedia 4.1 speakers(on PC) sounds much better and blends well with their sub eventhough the soundstage is very small and bass not so big.

18. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

19. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I heard a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s powered by an Arcam A65 stereo amp, which is 40wx2. It was more than enough to make them sing...there is more to audio than wattage ratings.

20. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

And, then there's speakers by others such a Klipsch - with their 96dB efficiency ratings doing quite well with 40 watts of power.