1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

what is the best progressive dvd for under $500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeteE, Aug 2, 2001.

1. PeteE

PeteE Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a progressive dvd player for under $500, what are the best options ??
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

For under $500, I strongly recommend the Panasonic RP-91. It does progressive scan, DVD-A decoding, DD/DTS decoding, and it lacks the dreaded chroma bug (thanks to its house MPEG decoder).
    ------------------

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    second the Panny

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm auditioning the RP91 and see what everyone is raving about. That said, there are a few players due to hit the market that may give the Panasonic a run for its money. Maybe wait for www.hometheaterhifi.com to release their DVD Shootout II in the next few days (weeks?) and see how the RP91 fares against the upcoming competition.
    Myself, I'm leaning towards the Malata player. At $300, it does progressive scan and great scaling, plus it's region free. It's not without its bugs (crappy remote, some buggy stuff like you can only use either the Component or S-Vid out at any time, not both simultaneous) but for the price and its features, it might still be worth checking out.
    Good luck!

5. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

I'll also add that the Panny will also do 3:2 pulldown and near-perfect anamorphic scaling. It's just a remarkable DVD player.
    ------------------