What's new

What is the best MP3/DVD player out now? (1 Viewer)

Scott Sweeney

Auditioning
I'm looking for a quality DVD player (progressive-scan not needed) with the best MP3 CD-R features (random play, on-screen song display, etc). I was all set to get the pioneer 440 but it looks like it's getting phased out. Crutchfield lists a new pioneer that has essentially the same feature set as the 440 but $40 less.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...DV353K&o=m&a=0
Does anyone know the difference between this new model (353K) and the 440?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott, the Pioneer DV-440 has gotten high marks on this site for its handling of MP3-encoded discs. Relative to the Panasonic DV-RV31 (now replaced by the 'RV32), the '440 is considered to be more user friendly. I am not sure how the '440 and new '353K differ. Perhaps Crutchfield's web site provides some insight. It is possible that the '353K isn't built as well since it is considerably cheaper.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I found the RV31 to be a relatively lousy MP3 player actually. I have a mixed 148 song disc with a variety of different bit-rates, encoders, etc. and the RV31 (and the RP91) chokes all over the place. Neither do random play either (an absolute must, as far as I'm concerned)

The Toshiba SD4700 handles all songs perfectly and does random play, but it pauses randomly for some reason at the end of songs. There's no pattern to this - it may happen 3 times in an hour, or not happen at all for hours. All you have to do to continue is hit the next track button, but it's still a bit of a pain. The 4700 can also display a track list on-screen, but only in 8.3 format which is next to useless.

The SD2800 doesn't hang up at all, but it doesn't handle a few of the songs on the disc. You'll get nothing but silence for the duration of the song, then it'll continue normally.

Yiannis

Auditioning
The best mp3 dvd players the Daewoo 5700 and the Hyundai 380 both are TYT-clones. Search the forum for the relevant discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks