What is the best hdtv that best buy sells?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tom Ruff, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Tom Ruff

Tom Ruff Auditioning

My father in law is looking to get a HDTV and seeing as how I work at Best Buy we can get a pretty good discount on any of the models that we sell. My question is this... Knowing all that you do about tvs what would be the one to get that is the best.

I was thinking the Samsund 50" DLP, but as of right now we can not get one because all the Best Buys are sold out of them. Also, we have Dish Network as out casble/satalite provider. Do they even offer HDTV or will we be stuck with only over the air channels? I know that Direct TV offers HDTV, and so does Comcast. Comcast is not availible where I live (Ortonville Michigan) so that pretty much leaves switching cable providers I think.

We can get pretty much anything that we want it seems. Well, everything but Plasma.

So, I ask you... out of all the tvs that best buy sells, which it the best to get. I am thinking no larger then 55-57 inches as the room is not that large.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help you can provide with this topic.

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Hate to tell you this but the samsung dlp is the answer to your question.

3. Jason F.

Jason F. Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about the best but I do know that the Toshiba H83's get alot of attention here. It would probably be considered a entry level TV though.

4. pradike

pradike Stunt Coordinator

Given the $$$ advantage you bring to the table...get the biggest screen with High Definition that his money can buy. DLP technology in projectors is great, buts adds only a nominal improvement in rear-projection TVs becasue of the need to still uses mirrors and magnification.

Too bad BB doesn't sell Mitz. Mitsubishi has always had the best picture and well constructed TVs in either tube or Rear Projection units.

I'd stay away from Sony (overpriced for the features) and Samsung (typically use cheaper internal components).

Hitachi & Toshiba make some pretty fair TVs.

My advise - get the best you can - remember....this is a blood relative who will hold you accountable for whatever you get - he's gonna be stuck looking at the thing for years to come, and will remember who got it for him every time!!!!

5. Steven Sims

Steven Sims Stunt Coordinator

BB does sell Mitsubishi, but supposedly they are stripped down models made only for BB. I have a 51H83 and I love it.
    Also, bigger isn't necessarily better, especially in HD. If your dad is mainly going to be watching dish network and not HD, then a bigger screen is just going to make it look worse, not better, unless he will be sitting pretty far away.

6. Tom Ruff

Tom Ruff Auditioning

Yea, we do sell Mits tv's. So it will not look that good because we aren't running HD on it? I mean, it won't look any worse then what we get now will it?

As for him holding me acountable, that is why I asked this question here. No other place has as much info about home theater stacked into one site like this one does. Figured that I couldn't go wrong asking here. [​IMG]

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The Samsung DLP is by far the best set that BB carries.

8. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Probably too expensive, but what about this one? It looked like the best one I've ever seen at Bestbuy.

link

9. Tom Ruff

Tom Ruff Auditioning

Yea... The plasma is nice, but a bit out of his range.

What we ended up doing was getting the new Mitsubishi WS-55313 HDTV. With Best buy being sold out of the DLP's and them not allowing us to use our discount to buy one once they did come in it made it a bit easier to decide. The only problem that I have now is trying to find info on the new Mit's TV. Seems that they do not have it up on their site as of yet, and all I can find on it is that it is their new silver model TV.

The reason that we went with the Mits TV is that it is upgradeable. The only thing that I do not like about it is that it does not have DVI, but we ended up signing up for DirectTV and got the Hughes HD box to go with the TV. Is there that much of a difference between good component video cables and DVI? Did we make a good choice you think?

10. pradike

pradike Stunt Coordinator

Yes and No. There IS a difference between DVI & component, but it can only be noticed in certain situtations - certain HDTV, as well as DVD playbacks.

More important DVI connectivity would be a good hedge on future compaitbility with HD PVR units - since all of the ones announced for fall 2003 reelase seem to have DVI connectivity.

That said, I believe you did well, and your father will be most pleased with the fine imagery and sound from the Mitz.

11. CharlesDLP

CharlesDLP Auditioning

Here is a limited description of the model line in which your set belongs via a quick search. Going to dig more myself on this as this set sounds like a good option for me.

Model & Series Description Sugg. Value Price
    Series: Silver Series CRT Projection TV

WT-42313 42" Widescreen Table Top HD-Upgradeable Television $1,799.00
    WS-48313 48" Widescreen floor standing HD-Upgradeable Television $2,199.00
    WS-55313 55" Widescreen floor standing HD-Upgradeable Television $2,599.00
    WS-65313 65" Widescreen floor standing HD-Upgradeable Television $3,199.00

Key Features: - Full array of inputs and outputs to satisfy every enthusiast
    - MonitorLink™ input for connection to the HD-5000 HDTV Receiver/Controller upgrade
    - PerfectColor™ color control system that allows for independent control of 6 colors
    - AMVP™ Advanced Multimedia Video Processor that provides format conversion and
    dramatically better picture performance from lower-resolution signals (not available in WT-42313)

The model Mitsubishi you purchased is definately a "true" Mitsubishi set. It is not a special set made just for Best Buy. Very good stuff. The WS-A55, WS-A65, and WS-B55 Mitsubishi sets we've been selling do not include the color-tuned shield, SVM settings per individual input, and a few other goodies. I've yet to see the spec sheet on the set you purchased, but I'd imagine with it being in the "official" Mitsubishi line up you should be good to go. Perhaps I need to start thinking about cashing in on my BB discount as well. I had heard we were going to start carrying some of the regular Mitsubishi line up, but I did not think it was going to happen this soon. Guess now I can at least see what BB is going to offer in this regard. I was considering paying full price at "The Big Screen Store" for a true Mitsubishi set. If BB offers something along the lines of the "Platinum Plus" series I think I'll have to take the plunge and upgrade my analog RPTV. Congrats on the set again! Great choice.

12. summerhillbmw

summerhillbmw Auditioning

I don't really have an answer for your question but I am wondering if you are tom ruff that I went to middle school with. My name is bill johnson and used to live on bald eagle.

If so let me know. [email protected]

Thanks