What's new

What is the Best DVD-R Blank media (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Yeah, the Future Shop sales are crazy right now. I just bought a 100 disc spindle of Mitsumi DVD-R 4x 4.7GBs for $39.99 CDN. I have no idea if they stink or not, but I'll let everyone know how they go in my Panasonic E55 (which was a Christmas gift from my wife).

MikeGee

Second Unit
yeah i'd like to know if those Mitsumi dvd's are worth the buy.. the name and the price kinda make me doubtful... but with regular blank CD-r's no-name brands worked just as good for me.. not sure if its the same with DVD's

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the same thing about these Dynex brand DVD+R's, I got them for $3.00/50 pack on Black Friday. But out of 10 or so, they have all burned and played prerfectly.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
The Mitsumi discs arrived -- they're not in a spindle, they're shrinkwrapped together with a blank at each end and then packaged in a white cardboard box with a sticker on it. High class all the way. ;)

The discs themselves are unbranded, which is nice. First one I tried had no problems in the Panasonic E55.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Well, I've burned 5 of the Mitsumi discs now, and the last one failed. I was disappointed until I looked at the disc: there was a big thumbprint along the edge. When I wiped the print off of the disc, I could clearly see the pattern of the burn interrupted where the thumbprint had been.

User error!

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I would stay far away from a lot of the cheap Futureshop media deals. Such as the Kodak ones they had one sale etc....

If you purchase cheap media you will get cheap results. I would definitely suggest Ritek Ridata branded media, I have burned thousands of these without a single issue and they are very reasonably priced.

I order mine from blankmedia.ca for $56/100 spindle and thats CDN dollars! ;)

Just my $0.02! :emoji_thumbsup:

James Gumbart

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind that quality is not just limited to if the disc burns right. A couple other factors are 1) will it play in other drives and 2) how long will it last.

Not wanting to take risks with my data, I just buy exclusively Taiyo Yuden, a Japananese manufacturer with one of the best reputations in the business.

I paid about .75 per disc shipped for 100 at rima.com but I felt it was worth a little extra for peace of mind.

Ian

Agent

I was able to pick up two 50-packs of the Sony DVD-R (1-8X) for $39.98 this afternoon. When I called Customer Service to check availability there were 19, however, by the time I got to the store there was only three or four.

I noticed the Memorex –RWs are always on sale. Do any of the other brands go on sale?

Ian

Agent
There is a buy one for $19.99 get one free sale on Maxell 15-pack DVD-RWs thru Feb. 5 at Office Depot.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Ian,

Just tried a couple of spindles of those Maxell -RWs for my Toshiba XS-32. This machine has been finicky with media (would not accept the 2X Memorex), but I'm happy to say these Maxells worked fine on a test run yesterday. I was getting worried about not being able to find -RWs for it, as my hard drive is a bit full.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question.
it seems like dvd-r's are more expensive that dvd+r's
are dvd-r's really any better?
Ive been using dvd+r's mostly from memorex for 2 years now and they have worked great for me in all my dvd players
thanks

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm not sure it has anything to do with -Rs being any better, but perhaps, which format is more predominant? (Probably more for computer usage than recorders at this point.) I know that +Rs and +RWs are so much easier to find at the stores. -RWs are so scarce it gets me a bit worried.

Ian

Agent

Elizabeth,

I do no think you have anything to worry about. I think the -RW scarcity is because they are popular.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I was just given a Panasonic DMR-E75V DVD Recorder for my birthday. It's my first dvd recorder and I was hoping someone could recommend the best blank disks (-R) for this player.

I only know (from this thread and other such threads across the net) that some disks work better with some recorders. But I haven't read anything about this particular Panasonic recorder and don't want to buy garbage disks.

Thanks for any help.

Gary "I'm really excited about this gift" O.

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
I have a panasonic dmr-e80h, and the CompUSA DVD-R's work the ebst for me. If you are not near a CompUSA, I think you can get them off there website.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks Jeremy. I don't have a CompUSA near me, so I'd have to order online (which is ok, but if I can pick something up from a Circuit City, Office Depot, or Staples, all the better). Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gary "hoping the hookup isn't as difficult as some reviews I've read" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks