What is the best Avia tone(s) to calibrate my new PCi

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_O, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Chris_O

Chris_O Agent

I just got my SVS 20-39 PCi today and I have a few hours tommorrow to set up my sub. I have Avia and I was looking at it to see what tone I should use to calibrate my sub. Should I be using the tone that alternate between one of the speakers and the sub or is there another tone to use. If someone could point me in the right direction for which tones to use for sub calibration that would be great.

Chris

2. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar question with the VE disc. Got my 25(22)-31PCi today and when I was calibrating it with the sub test tone the meter jumps way out of the range! [​IMG] And the gain is not even half way up. If I calibrate the sub at 75 db the gain is like at ¼ and the bass is kindda not so noticeable when watch movies… Should I calibrate it higher, is this why people are calibrating it hot by 5db?

3. Chris_O

Chris_O Agent

Art,
    I have done some more searching on this forum and it seems that the SLP meters do jump around a few decibles when calibrating the subs. Most people seem to take the average between the fluctuations. I have done some research and it seems that the average person is less sensitive to low frequences than higher ones, so the lows don't sound as loud at the same volume as a higher frequency. I think that is another reason most people prefer to calibrate their subs a little hot. I have my house to myself for about six hours tommorrow so I plan I doing a good calibration and some testing. Hopefully I will be able to get everything set up right and I can see what all this SVS talk is really about.[​IMG]
    Chris

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Guys,
    SVS has a nice AVIA primer on our website (look in the FAQ) written by none other than Guy Kuo himself. I would print that out and follow it step by step to calibrate the sub.
    Setting the subwoofer to the proper output levels often gives the INITIAL impression of "bass to soft"...but it does tend to grow on folks.
    One thing to consider, the lower the overall volume levels used...the more likely you will prefer to have the subwoofer calibrated a little *hot*(high). So if you never approach reference levels....you can try setting the subwoofer 3-6dB *hot*. HOWEVER....do NOT set the subwoofer this high...and then pop in a bassy DVD like TPM,TITAN AE,TOY Story2,ect)and push the volume to reference levels and ask why the subwoofer seems to be straining a little [​IMG]
    TV

5. Chris_O

Chris_O Agent

Thanks for the reply Tom,

I remember seeing that info about a month ago when I order the PCi but I didn't see it on the new site. Maybe I over looked it, I was pretty excited when my new PCi arrived. Great looking sub, the photo's don't do it justice.

Chris

6. Chris_O

Chris_O Agent

Found it. I missed the link the first time.

Thanks again,

Chris

7. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

I calibrated my system for 75 db @ 60 (I have an Onkyo and the volume level is 0-99) and I usually listen at 35-50 range. After playing with it for a while I settled on a bit less than 1/2 on gain and +2 db for the sub out on the Onkyo. Man, maybe I just got a weak stomach but I can't believe how much punch this thing has! Maybe one of these days I would work up enough courage to push the gain all the way up.

BTW, how do I tell the sub is bottoming out?