what is the best 16:9 RPTV (HDTV)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Vance, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Art Vance

Art Vance Extra

Hi,

My name is Art and I'm new to this forum. I joined because I want to purchase an 16:9 RPTV with HDTV capabilities and I'd like to get some opinions from people who know these sort of things. I've looked at a few sets at mostly chain type stores and and have been impressed with a few brands (Sony, Toshiba, and Hitachi. I can spend as much as $6k. I prefer a 65" but would settle for a 57" if it were a great picture. i'm intereted in DLP RPTV as well. So I have few questions;

1. what is "the best" (picture quality) 16:9, RPTV? Yes, I realize this question is highly subjective. I'm looking for good input.

2. what should I know about choosing a progressive scan DVD player that will work best with the TV that I choose?. Do I have to match scan rates, etc...

thank you in advance

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Only you can determine ‘best’, Art. But you might like to start by going to some dealers and comparing the Mitsubishi ‘Diamond’ models and the Toshiba ‘Elite’ models. Compare them against each other and against other manufacturers sets.

You might like to take along some DVDs that you know very well so that you are comparing what is meaningful to you.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The Elites are made by Pioneer, not Toshiba. I recently looked over several 16x9 sets, and the two best I found were the Pioneer Elite and the Mitsubishi Diamond. The are expensive but are worth it, and you should be able to get either for $6K. Another very good option is the Pioneer SD643. It is a 64" and is not as good as the Elite's, but is very close.

Art, you are going to get many different opinions from everyone on what is the best. But like Lew said, you really have to go around and view the sets yourself. Take along some test DVD's. Spend time playing with the sets. Decide which sources you are going to be viewing, such as HDTV, DVD, LD, VCR, regular cable etc. and factor all of these into your decision. Some sets don't do non-HD/DVD sources very well, which is fine if all your watching is HD and DVD. If non HD/DVD sources are important, consider the quality of the sets line doubler and comb filters.

Any progressive scan player should work with any 16x9 set you get. Some set's upconvert the output from a progressive scan dvd player (480p), to 540p. Unfortunatly, this can often add more artifacts to the image and degrade it somewhat. The only sets that do not upconvert a 480p image are from Panasonic, Pioneer, and Mitsubishi. Again, my personal feel was that the Pioneer Elite and Mitsubishi diamond were the two best sets I saw. I thought the mits did better with HD, the two were equal on dvd, but the Elite exceled in non HiDef sources. I personally went with the Elite. Hope some of this helps you.

4. Jeff Me

Jeff Me Agent

A friend of mine who is very picky just saw a Toshiba 57HLX82. He thought it was the best RPTV he had ever seen and he generally does not like RPTVs. This one might bust your budget though.

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Art,

You may want to save some off your money and just invest in a good midrange RPTV and have it ISF calibrated. Panasonic offers a good bang for the buck and when properly calibrated rival some of the more expensive sets.

Kevin

6. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Jeff.

Does your friend see any weird sparkles on the set's screen? I saw 3 of these at CES and they all had a strange sparkly appearence to them. None of them impressed me at all.

7. Jeff Me

Jeff Me Agent

No, but the store here let him calibrate the set.

8. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Art,

The Pioneer Elite PRO-630HD will be your best bet. The 'Elites' are noted for having the best stretch-modes and line-doublers on the market. If you watch a lot of standard broadcast TV, you need to take this into consideration.

I bought a PRO-620HD, (last years model), about 4 months ago. I had it ISF calibrated and the picture quality is unbelievable. I recently had a problem with my cable signal, and when the cable tech saw my hi-def picture, he was amazed!! He said he had been in hundreds of homes, and had never seen anything like it.

My best friend recently bought a 65" Mits....no comparison, (though it has not been ISF calibrated). Another friend bought a 61" Hitachi and has had nothing but problems.

I strongly suggest the Pioneer Elite!!

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

10. David_Giles

David_Giles Stunt Coordinator

"Another friend bought a 61" Hitachi and has had nothing but problems."

That would be last years model since there isnt a 61" this year.The new Hitachi line is one of the best reviewed HDTV's on the market right now,one reviewer{for the perfect vision} even put it up against a ELITE tv and the SWX Hitachi did very well against it.

11. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Alan - Nice pictures. I'm zeroing in a the 630 - question.
    My seating area is about 13 feet from most used seats to about 11.5 feet for a single chair. Is this far enough for the 58 630? How far back are you with your 520?

Congrates on OSU, however I'll never forgive em, ARizona State Grad -88/the 96 Rose Bowl was devistating trauma for weeks[​IMG] :b

12. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

David,

I have a PRO-620HD, not a PRO-520HD, (58" vs. 53"). My chair in the "Sweet Spot", is ten feet from the screen.

You may want to look at the 64" sets from Pioneer!!

13. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks - I realized I posted 520/you have 620. So your 10 feet is back and not feeling its to close. The 64 would be nice/not sure if 13 feet is far emough back + (I'd probably be a single man again post purchase delivery - price alone)[​IMG] Knowing the 630/58 inch is a good fit heps me "get over" missing opportunity to buy the 530 for $2,999 from Tweeter thru last Sundays SB kickoff. Did not know until later/oh well!. Thanks Alan

14. Mike Stempo

Mike Stempo Auditioning

I just bought a Pioneer Elite Pro730HD. It has not arrived yet but if its performance is anything like the unit at the home theater store it will be more than worth the price. I could not find a better picture, even amongst all of their other tweaked units in the store. After looking at units at discount stores (you get what you pay for) I said to myself if big means looking at fuzzy crap like this then I will go back to buying the largest CRT flat screen unit and call it quits. Why anyone would buy these pumped up screens with no lenses or technology behind them is beyond me. It's like looking through glasses smudged with oil.

The whole system should be up and running sometime in February along with all of the other new components.

[​IMG]

15. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

Art,

I you art interested in the DLP's Samsung makes a 61" and in May there will be a 56" out as well. Both will fit your budget quite well. And I am with David at CES the LCOS Toshiba seemed to have like a flicker when it showed vibrant green and although the picture was a nice one looking at that flicker and the 4 screws around the screen what get on my nerves. The TV also only does 1080P which Toshiba anticipates HD-DVD to be in. WE will see.

16. Derek1

Derek1 Agent

I would also recomend the Pioneer Elite PRO-730. I have worked with every brand mentioned here and the Elite is still the best.

There are better performance per dollar models out there but for the absolute best picture the Elites' are it.

17. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

A well calibrated Mits. will hold up well if not beat any of them including the Elite. Out of the box however the Elite's are usually better. Toshiba's are very nice once calibrated as well.

18. Brad Tuttle

Brad Tuttle Auditioning

There is Pioneer and then all the rest in my opinion. The 643 would be a great choice.

Hey, and tell Big AL he is right the OSU Buckeyes Rule without a doubt.....2002 National Champions!!!GO BUCKS!!!!![​IMG]

19. Scott McVicker

I know the pro-630 has a "auto convergence" function. Does anyone know how this stacks up to a ISF Calibration?