What's new

What is the allure of Harry Potter for adults? (2 Viewers)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I don't "get" adults that are all into Disney movies, either.

/me prepares to be lynched for making this statement.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I am curious as to the amount of fantasy that adult lovers of Harry Potter have been exposed to prior to reading Harry Potter. Is some of the 'rush' due simply to the discovery of a new genre of fiction as opposed to the actual books themselves?

I've read a lot of fantasy. I have not read the Harry Potter books simply because they seem to tread very familiar grounds and, frankly, there are other great series than are aimed solely at the adult market and I like the more ambiguous and darker tones of such books. Anyone getting their feet wet in the fantasy genre should consider checking out the very adult series A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. The first book is A Game of Thrones.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'd prefer to read Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman for a fantasy fix. Am I totally out of it?
Yep. ;)

I read Terry Pratchett as well as JK Rowling.

I read other kids' books (I've just re-read the Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher, which are *brilliant* - forget the abberation of a TV series if you saw it, the books are *way* better). Sometimes through reading to my kids, but other times just for the pleasure of meeting an old acquaintance again. I don't see anything wrong with this. I'd far sooner read a good children's book than e.g. an airport paperback. The quality of writing will almost certainly be better, it will deal with more serious issues, and generally will be more believable.

And now back to Gibbon's Decline and Fall (my current bedtime reading, and given its length, my probable bedtime reading for the next couple of years).

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Anyone getting their feet wet in the fantasy genre should consider checking out the very adult series A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. The first book is A Game of Thrones.
I AGREE!!!!
This series is so amazing that I can't believe its not more popular.

Dewitte: Has this thread convinced you to take the plunge?

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
How about "A Series of Unfortunate Events" by Lemony Snicket? Great, dark, funny series. It's too bad I'm going to have to wait nine years or so to read them to my daughter.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Finally joined the bandwagon, I am in the middle of the second book.

The first was an enjoyable read, but having watched the movie, a struggled through the midsection: the discovery phase wasn't just as magical after the movie (you know, stuff like platform 9 3/4, etc...).

As an aside, is the movie the single most faithful adaptation of a book or what??!! Outside of a couple of extremely minor things, it seems every painstaking conversation and detail has been reproduced.

Anyway, here is my question: The 1st third or even half of the second book contains an significant amount of exposition about the 1st book, clearly aimed at new readers who didn't read the 1st book, making for a somewhat tedious read for someone like me who went directly from one book to the next.

Will it continue like that? Will Azkhaban start by reintroducing characters and explain Quidditch (sp?) all over again? I hope not, but please do tell.

--
H

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Holadem - No, just keep reading. And be sure to read the best book, #4, before you see the movie this Fall. It is awesome and is where the "darkness" really starts in earnest.

Thinking about it a bit more, really the huge allure of the HP books are that they are excellent cross-genre stories. She not only is able to create an entire new world with it's own magic, rules, and creatures (fantasy), each book also unravels the plot like a top notch Agatha Christie novel (mystery/detective.) Each book pushes these boundaries a little farther, but ultimately they all follow that format.

So where you might have better pure fantasy writers (like Tolkien) or better mystery writers (take your pick of the classics), there is nowhere you will find both done so well in a mixed-genre story like HP. The book are a joy to read.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm really trying, but I can't think of a movie that was better than the book it was based on.
Three Days of the Condor, taut, stylish, movie thriller, great popcorn flick. Six Days of the Condor, padded, boring spy "thriller" with pretentions of deep meaning.

Great books seldom make great, or even very good films. The very literary qualities that raise them above the level of other books (style, diction, narrative drive, voice) don't translate to film. Good books can make good films, but often make poor ones. Bad books, on the other hand, ill-written, with wooden characters and idiotic plots, often make good films. Because the filmmaker pulls the one or two useable parts out of the book and then bases what is largely an original script on those. Condor borrowed the basic outline of the novel and very little else. (And wisely cut the time frame from six days to three. :))

Regards,

Joe

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another who stayed away from the Potter franchise. I'm actually a huge fan of Tolkien's work and have never been into fantasy since. I've tried reading the big fantasy authors of today and never really got into any of them.

Well my girlfriend last year got the first couple of Potter books as a present...and let's just say that I now own the British Special Editions of all 6 and it took about 6 months for me to read all of them!

I'm not ready to put her in Tolkien's class just yet, but she does have his successful formula down of being able to write for children and yet still appeal to adults.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually a huge fan of Tolkien's work and have never been into fantasy since. I've tried reading the big fantasy authors of today and never really got into any of them.
I have the same problem! Perhaps the reason I am able to enjoy HP is that contrarly to most fantasy I've tried, it's got next to nothing to do with Tolkien's work.

--
H

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I'm really trying, but I can't think of a movie that was better than the book it was based on.
Also, Jaws the novel was padded with a lot of silly soap opera-ish sub-plots (the Mafia, Ellen's affair with Hooper)that only distracted from the story. The movie, on the other hand, was a taut, intense thriller, jettisoning all the unnecessary baggage.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Mitch Hedburg: "Any book is a children's book, if the kid can READ!" :D

To those who can't understand why adults would be into 'kids' things, I have to wonder why someone would be so closed minded as to not have the ability to enjoy something that isn't designed specifically for your age?

p.s. The above 'close minded' remark is not a slam, it's about the fact that adults tend to stop seeing things in broader strokes and can get a bit "tunnel visioned" about the world. For me, I enjoy kids entertainment because it helps ground me from getting too Adult-ized.

As was stated, the word "Kid" doesn't always mean "Immature"...I can show you tons of immature things that are geared for adults ;)

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
While the first book was undoubtedly written with children in mind, I don't personally classify books 5 or 6 as "children's books". I've talked to people who believe that any book where the lead is a teenager is automatically a "childrens book" (especially if that book doesn't contain bad language or sex) and hence they refuse to read them, but I think that this criteria is pretty closed minded. If somebody doesn't like the books that's totally fine with me, but most of the bashers have never read them, or have only read parts of the first book.

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson! What a great trio of actors for the Potter films. Not to mention the great supporting cast. I have never really been into reading books but, after reading here, I think I would like to read all the H.P. books. The Harry Potter movies so far have been a feast for the eyes and ears. I just love the John Williams score on my $4,000 speaker system. I can't wait until my basement home theater with a big front projection screen is completed so I can see these films with more impact.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Finished Chamber of Secrets last night, went out and bought Prisoner of Azkaban immediately. It's safe to say that I am now on this ride till the end.

I am really glad I purposely stayed away from the last two movies on the chance that I might want to read the books some day, it's paying off.

--
H

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I finished the Audio book of Goblet of Fire yesterday, though I'd read the book previously. Except for his whiny Hermione, I love the job Jim Dale does reading these but Order of the Phoenix (my favorite of the books) is downright daunting. 23 CD's and 27 hours!!

The best is yet to come Holadem. Starting with Goblet of Fire, the story really takes off.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I read them to make sure I had a link to what my kids liked, which give us more to discuss. But I quess that's a reason to start reading them, not why you'd like them.

I've always thought the hook was just a simple good plot. No deep meaning to use up brain cells - kind of like TV you can hold in your lap.

I do like Joe's mystery/fantasy cross-genre theory though. They really are like hallucinogenic Hardy Boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks