What is the All-in-One Remote you like?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Franklin, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Tim Franklin

Tim Franklin Auditioning

I trust the opinions on this site? After a year of "researching" for my current truck and my home theater system I'm just plain "TIRED" of the hunt! I'm looking for price/performance a remote that will be covering a:
    new ONKYO 797
    new Toshiba 65HX81
    new Panasonic RP-56
    older Mitsubishi S-VCR
    older Kenwood 6 disc CD player
    older Kenwood dual tape deck
    Looking for the remote that can cover everything. No need for a remote that requires me to go back to the original remote for certain functions. I know I'm asking a LOT but if you can help I'm all hears! THANKS IN ADVANCE![​IMG]

2. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

I use a Marantz RC2000 MKII, it does everything I need it to (TV, VCR, DVD, Laserdisc, Receiver, light dimmer). Most people here will probably recommend the Philips Pronto though.

3. Jack F

Jack F Agent

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

HTM MX-500.

5. RandyW

RandyW Auditioning

another vote for HTM MX-500

6. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

As a previous RC2000 user and Pronto user.... HTM MX500.

7. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

Well, I just got an Onkyo 797 two weekends ago...its remote is now controlling:

Toshiba 32" TV

Onkyo 797

Pioneer DV-525 DVD player

Mitsubishi DD DTV receiver

Mitsubishi VCR

JVC VCR

It's the only remote I have out now. Sure the touchscreen remotes have a high cool factor, but considering I just dropped a wad o'cash on the Onkyo, the included learning macro remote is just fine...

-Seth

8. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I've been using a HTM SL9000 for 2 years I have really enjoyed it. I worked around the limitations by using the up & down arrow buttons. (I also downloaded a picture of the remote & developed step by step instructions for babysitters, inlaws, etc)

After considering a Pronto & doing some research I just ordered the MX-500. Can't wait to set it up next week.

9. Tom Luczywo

Tom Luczywo Auditioning

As a salesman, custom programmer and a systems integrator, I have seen programmed, and had all of these popular remotes. I think your choice should be made on your level of computer know how and patience. I think all round, the new Marantz SR5200 or the SR9200 are unbeatable as far as programming power, screen size, hard buttons, and customization. They can do IR AND/OR RF. Ultimately though, these are "programmers" remotes. These are for people who will sit with a computer and make these things into little Cresron or AMX touchpanels. They are that powerful. Philips Pronto TS6000 is very similar, and the software for it is finally reliable and better to work with.

The other option I REALLY like is RTI's Theater Touch T2. This remote is great, because it has a little touch screen that is totally customizable, AND it's got all the hard buttons. It can do RF, AND you can order a "video sense" module and/or an "audio sense" module. This is cool because with these modules, they can tell if the device is on or off, thereby eliminating mix up with things getting out of sync (some things powered on, others powered off), because not everything has discrete on and offs.

For those non computer geeks, I have to agree that the MX-500 is a good choice.