What is the advantage of flat screen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Keck, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I was checking tvs out on teh Worst Buy website and noticed that th eflat screen ones cost about half again as much as the, uh, non-flat screen ones. So what is the advangtage of the flat screen?

Thanks for all replies.

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

In very basic terms, the flatter picture produces less geometric distortion than a traditional curved tube of the same size. You also get less glare and reflection and a wider viewing angle.

I'm sure that someone with a more technical explanation will be along shortly...

-Chris

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Watch the Star Wars Crawl, and you'll realize the benefits of flat screen [​IMG] Watch the lines "unbend" [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Jeff said.

Look at the screen of a typical cineplex. It's flat. An ideal home-theater display, therefore, should also be flat. The primary reason I prefer a flat display such as my WEGA is that it eliminates the bowing distortion caused by conventional picture tubes--which are themselves sections of a sphere.

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

This has probably been sid 1,000,000 times in forums like these, but I'll say it again, anyway. The beauty of these forums is that one can get rational, understandable explanations for things, like the replies above, without having to be concerned about what someone may be trying to sell you.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

6. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

But as far as CRT flat screens go, I think it's fair to say that there are inherent geometry issues with most, especially as you get into the larger sets. At that point, what difference does a little bit of distortion due to screen curvature really make? I think there's diminishing returns. Now, as far as RPTV's go, they can be calibrated to a much better geometry... but of course, they are ALL flat screen anyway, so it doesn't really matter. So IHMO, flat screen would not be a good price performer, unless you consider the fact that manufacturers tend to put the better electronics in their flat screen models. That's why they're better, not because they're flat.

Martin.