What's new

What is the actual release date for MGS2? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Clemons

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone help me out on this? I have been to three shops and I get a different answer everytime. My local Gamespot.com tells me Thursday the 14th, CC and BB Sunday ads said the 15th, and others have dates that range from Wednesday to next Tuesday. I have Friday off from work so I would be grateful is someone would let me know when this is coming off so I can devote my day off to being lazy and playing PS2.
Kevin
[Edited last by Kevin Clemons on November 13, 2001 at 08:46 AM]

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I have been to three shops and I get a different answer everytime.
The problem is they're all correct. Konami have announced a /ship date/. It's then down to the distribution chains how fast individual stores get the games. It could be Wednesday, it could be Thursday, it could even be Friday for out of the way places.
The fact that there are two new consoles being launched this week doesn't help.
All you can do is phone the individual stores & trust their answers.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
Brian B is correct. I believe today (11/13) is the ship date. The Gamespots in my area seem to get games on the ship dates, but CC and BB always have a two or three day delay. That's been my observation anyways. If you take Friday off, I think you'll be able to find it.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
As usual BrianB is accurate. :)
One of my friends is going to take his chances on Wednesday. He seems really positive it will be released then.
Call your local vendors on Wednesday. If they don't know what you're talking about (as they often don't), call elsewhere until you get someone with a clue.
I can only speak for the West Coast, but re: street dates. FunCoLand (BrianB, is it owned by Nintendo?) is great about actually having software on time, and I am speaking from repeated personal experience. Fry's never gets their product on time. They will probably get MGS2 about a week or so after street date.
Joseph

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
FunCoLand (BrianB, is it owned by Nintendo?)
Nope, it's owned by Barnes & Noble through a subsiduary called GameStop, Inc. which is based about ten miles away from me, in Grapevine, TX.
Funcoland, Software Etc, Babbages (I've always liked that name) & GameStop are all part of the one chain through various buy-outs.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The date is 11/13 but that doesn't mean it will be out then. Retailers will release games a day later or even two days later (Circuit City releases games a day later) for some unknown reason. Maybe they don't want to make money as soon as possible.
A friend of mine likes EB but has become an idiot. He thinks that the MSRP of games is $55 and that MGS2 comes out tomorrow because thats what they tell him. Its wrong I tell you, WRONG!!!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The date is 11/13 but that doesn't mean it will be out then. Retailers will release games a day later or even two days later (Circuit City releases games a day later) for some unknown reason.
Do you read what other people post, Morgan? The reason is well known & explained. It's the joy of US game distribution where companies announce ship dates & not retail dates (unlike DVDs!).
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
11/13 is not the ship date, it is the release date. I know someone who walked into a store and bought one this morning. He said they had a bunch of copies of the game and weren't just putting them out early.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You just don't get it do you, Morgan? Straight from Konami: November 13th is the ship date. Some stores may have it rightaway, most won't. So, do you read other people's replies?
http://www.iemag.com/search/wholestory.asp?ID=8014
MGS2 Ship Date Finalized [10/16/01 2:15:25 PM ET]
The game that nearly all PlayStation 2 owners covet for their libraries, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, will ship to stores on November 13, Konami of America announced today.
The game should be available in some locations that day, and in all stores at least one to two days following the ship date.
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty will launch in the U.S. first, followed by a Japanese launch date of November 29, and the rest of the world in 2002.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Morgan, Some stores order sameday shipping and thus get it on the release date. But most stores or corprate order next day air so they won't have it until tomorrow. Video Games unlike movies aren't shipped until release date. So when you see 11/13 as the release date that is really the ship date.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
A good friend of mine walked into a certain B&M not one hour ago and saw 24 copies of MGS. He got his, and was about to get one for me but they were restricting purchase to one game per customer so I wasn't so lucky.
furious.gif
frown.gif

However, today is not the release date. You can count on that. A fraction of stores will receive it today... a fraction of those will begin selling. But most, if not all stores will not be selling this title until later in the week.
Joseph
edit: Oh, and if you haven't preordered the game, good luck!
[Edited last by Joseph Young on November 13, 2001 at 06:02 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I thought it was the release date. My bad.
Anyway, a friend of mine stayed home from school to play it and has been playing it since this morning. He loves it too much.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
My local store had (literally) hundreds of them. The stack of preorder slips were more than I've ever seen. In the half hour I was there, 7 people just walked in and bought them, 4 preorders were sold as well (yes, I did count).
My store doesn't break street date. I almost had a hard time buying the XBox titles I preordered, but because I did, they let me get them.
Mike
------------------
Windows XP Resource
Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland
Link Removed

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I was at the local mall on my break between classes on Tuesday afternoon. So I decided to check out Software, Etc's stuff. Lo and behold, I see a big ol' line of people, pre-order slips in hand, picking up MGS2. It took all of my willpower to hold back and not buy it. I would have, but I ordered it from EBGames, and had no idea if it was waiting for me at home. Alas, it was not. Hopefully Wed. or Thursday it'll be in my hands.
So yeah, Software Etc. had it on Tuesday. As for Best Buy, a coworker works there, and they only get shipments a few times a week. So I assume MGS2 didn't make the shipment that would allow it to be put out on Tuesday. (That's my theory, anyway.)
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks