what is that????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brian rudy, Mar 8, 2003.

1. brian rudy

brian rudy Auditioning

That's what I said as soon as I turned on my 4 year old panny tv. It is not hdtv. A black box appears about 5 seconds after the tv is turned on. The box covers almost all of the screen and is centered. If I change the channel the box disappears but returns after 5 seconds again. I played a dvd and the same thing happened, but when the chapters change the box disappears again for 5 seconds. I'm stumped and would love any help someone can give. I think it is just some setting that the kids changed or something since the picture is clear when it is on briefly.
    thanks
    Brian

2. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

Check the Closed Caption settings. Make sure to set them to off. It sounds like they are set on one of the Text Modes.

3. brian rudy

brian rudy Auditioning

BrianDb

Thanks a million. You must have kids. I'm sure one of mine got a little curious as to what all those buttons do. It was the closed caption setting. I was starting to convince myself that I was now going to need to buy a new tv. Maybe next time.
    Brian

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

brian rudy,

You haven't told your spouse it was just the CC have you???

If not, it could mysteriously re-appear at random intervals over the next few weeks and perhaps lead to a necessary expedition in search of a new Widescreen HD-ready television of suitably large screen dimensions.

5. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

Yes, we do have a child. However she is only 2.5 and is not allowed to play with the remotes. The reason for guessing at the CC settings is that I can't stand to not try every setting on any piece of electronics that we own (much to the wife's dismay). When you utilize the TEXT settings it puts up a static black box rather than scrolling just 2 or 3 lines of text.

6. John Swarce

John Swarce Second Unit

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

My older TV would only display the black box in Text mode if there was a Closed-Caption signal, but my Mitsubishi displays it whether there's a CC signal or not. I haven't seen the Text mode actually used on anything in recent years, but checking some old off-the-air tapes I found that ABC used this in the 80's- Text channel 1 was usually a listing of all closed-captioned shows airing that week, and channel 2 was news about the National Captioning Institute. I think they ran sports scores on one of these for awhile too. When I check it nowadays though there's never anything on it.