What's new

What is Technovision? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm doing a widescreen cinema presentation for a school class and I'd like to cover it.

It's not covered on the Widescreen Museum website.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Technovision is an anamorphic 35mm process, just named for the company whose cameras are being used (If I remember correctly).

Sometimes it's confused with techniscope, which was a 2 perf 35mm widescreen process (a really poor man's widescreen). It achieves 2.35:1 without the anamorphic squeeze but with a noticeable drop in quality as only half the area of a standard 35mm frame (standard 35mm is 4 perfs tall). 'American Grafitti' used this which is why the grain is so visible.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...I did some more 'scouring' and finally found the (Italian) site:
Link Removed
...indeed, it seems that there is no specific Technovision 'cinematographic process' as such... the name applies to a company that supplies/rents filmmaking equipment: movie cameras & optics, including anamorphic lenses...
. . . . . .

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...ahh... nope!... we were talking about TechnOVISION - which may, but does not necessarily, involve anamorphic optics (e.g. Fellini only ever made one true 'scope' movie)...
...the system developed by Technicolor that you refer to is TechnIRAMA ( http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingtr3.htm ) - which does involve anamorphic optics ...
. . . . . .

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
e.g. Fellini only ever made one true 'scope' movie
Two, actually. LA DOLCE VITA (Totalscope) and SATYRICON (Panavision).

Technovision is a camera and optics company. Filmed in Technovision is not exactly a process but their trademark, much as Filmed in Panavision is Panavision's. Filmed in Technovision does not necessarily mean filmed anamorphically, as films shot with Technovision cameras and/or lenses fill the whole range of formats (anamorphic scope, Super 35, etc.)

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...oops!... completely forgot Satyricon (but, hey! it's easy to forget that one... IMNSHO, of course!)...
. . . ;) . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks