what is subwoofer out on DVD players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by simi bains, Feb 12, 2002.

1. simi bains

simi bains Auditioning

I noticed that some players have subwoofer out, like the Denon DVD 800 etc. What is the advantage to this, if there is any?

I wonder, because if DVD's have digital sound, and an reciever can decode dolby digital, and dts signals, then what's the point? Doesn't the receiver do it anyways?

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I assume the players in question have outputs for all speakers in a 5.1 setup. This is the case when a player has the decoders built in. This way, you can hook up the DVD player directly to an amplifier or DD-DTS READY reciever.

C. Ryan

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Actually- some players don't have 6 channel outs and instead have regualar 2 channel and then a sub... the reason is this:

If you only have a 2 speaker system, like for example your TV- connecting to the L/R audio outputs on the DVD player provides a downmixed prologic signal.

Downmixed prologic throws away the LFE track completely. I think on these players it is a way to offer L/R output for TV speakers and then still allow connection of a sub so the LFE isn't lost (and so Joe Six Pack can still have one of those woofers without buying a receiver when his TV speakers sound greeeeeeeat).

-Vince

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Weird. I had no idea there were DVD players on the market that included only stereo ouputs with a subwoofer out. Very strange indeed.

C. Ryan