What is so addicting about Civ3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bill Griffith, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

What is so addictive about this game. Its such a simple game, yet I find myself coming back to it over and over again. I'll stop playing for a few months but as soon as I start thinking about it I have to play it and continue to play it for a few months before stopping and starting up again a few months after that.

I guess this is one of the few game I might just have to go get the expansion packs for.

Just wondering if there is anyone else addicted to this game.

2. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

Don't bother with the Play the World expansion pack. It's not that great and I'm pretty sure everything from it is included in the Conquests expansion.

I don't have Civ 3 yet but I'm going to get it as soon as the gold edition comes out this Tuesday.

3. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Ah yes, the dreaded one more turn disease. People have been known to one more turn themselves from 11 PM to well past dawn the next day. There is no cure, no treatment, nothing that can be done. Except give in.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Seriously, I bought the game just about when it came out and I've played the game about once. Winning it by annihilation with the Germans (hope to survive till the modern age and be super aggressive with the Panzers). And it was such a long game, I've been scared to start anew one for fear of being sucked in...

One more turn...

Jay

5. Bill Griffith

I found myself playing it again this weekend. Con't wait for the conquest expansion.

However I'm not very good at these games I gues as I can't even come close to winning the game if I play on anythgin higher than the second difficulty level. It starts out as Chieftan is the easiest then I believe Warlord is next, and thats about as hard a level I can play and barely eek by a win.

Has anyone played this on a higher level and won. Whats the secret?

6. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Wow this game, even so I seem to lost my Play the World disc, meaning I can't install it at the moment. But thankfully Conquest has everything PTW had, meaning that is no big deal. Would love to play online against one of you guys sometime. I am not very good, but it still beats trashing Franch. [​IMG]

7. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

I've heard that the secret is early expansion via settlers. There's a buch of tips at civfanatics.com

8. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Civfanatic is a great site. Acually, I do post at that board as a matter of fact. I am a lurker, but if you see any posts from Rirse, then you will know it me. [​IMG]

9. Bill Griffith

Thanks for the site guys. That is pretty usefull.

I'm really trying not to buy Play The World expansion but I might just break down and get it.

What does the Conquest expansion have on it that the Play the World doesn't?

10. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

I too find this game to be terribly addicting. I actualy have fallen victim to the one more turn disease in all three of the Civ games so far. I cannot understand what it is about this game either, but it sure is addictive.
    I am planning on getting the Gold Edition too. I am just too fearful it will suck away too much of my time.

11. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

I just ordered the Gold edition since none of the stores around here had it.

Don't bother with the play the world expansion. I'm pretty sure that everything on it is on the Conquests expansion.