1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What is slew rate?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

In my search for an amp, I've noticed that many companies list their products' slew rates. I believe the slew rate is listed in volts/microsecond(please correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone know if this is at all related to anything that would affect sonic performance? I noticed that Parasounds such as the 855A and 1205A and 1000A have a slew rate of about 120-130 while Anthem and B&K amps have a much lower slew rate, like 20-30. Is a lower or higher slew rate better and is slew rate a big factor?

2. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Higher slew rate it better. Since you already noticed that the units are V/ms, you may have guessed that it indicates how fast your amp can change its voltage output. In other words, respond to transients.
    As for whether slew rate is a big factor, I can't tell you. I've never done any critical listening where that was the only thing that changed. But theoretically, it's a good thing [​IMG]