What's new

What is slew rate for amps?? (1 Viewer)

Fletcher

Grip
Could someone please explain what "slew rate" is for an amplifier and how it effects the sound. I don't even know if a higher number or lower number is better. Maybe someone could also say what are some good values and what are some bad values.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Fletcher

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, I will take a shot from memory (you know that people say, my memory is good, it's just short) at this. "slew rate" is a measure of the rise time. It measures how fast you amp can go from a voltage level A to a voltage level B.
I think the high the slew rate, the better it will be able to response to incoming signals, espectially if the incoming signal changes rapitly (sp?).
------------------

Robert A

Stunt Coordinator
Slew Rate basically causes distortion. Due to the capacitors in an amp the voltage across them (capacitors) cannot change instaneously. When the input signal changes faster than the capacitive elements of the amp can handle then the output will distort. Slew Rate is measured usually in V/µs (volts per micro-second). The higher the number the better because then it can handle more input faster. In this case faster is better. I'm just a humble student of EE and I'm not sure what all of this sounds like in your speakers. But I do know that distortion is bad.
frown.gif
If you have any other questions or if this is a little confusing let me know.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
So what is a good number for slew rate? 50 Volts/Microsecond? What's a good general guideline? Thanks for anyone's help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks