What is Scarlet Diva?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Frezon, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

If you go to the Deals Page of the HTF Marketplace, you'll see a box on the top right-hand side of the page touting new releases. The #1 new release in this box right now is "Scarlet Diva" with a link to the Lasers Edge page for the DVD of this film. Yet I cannot find hardly a word about it here at the HTF.
    Is this some extremely popular DVD right now of which I am just completely ignorant? All the others I've heard of.

2. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

It's a movie with Asia Argento with a lot of nudity in it. One guy at work was kind of excited about it, bought the disc, and then found out that the movie was so bad that he wishes he never made the purchase. I haven't seen it for myself, so I can't comment personally on its quality.

3. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

4. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The commentary is meant to be pretty funny. Asia is frank and open about a lot of the sexual material in the movie, names some of the real-life directors who inspired some of the sleazier scenes in the movie (Abel Ferrara and Leos Carax, to name two), and adds some comments like "..this never happened to me, unfortunately.." during her discussion of a torrid lesbian sequence.

I understand the film isn't meant to be particularly slick, more a Dogme-style piece playing around with some of the grottier elements of European celebrity. Asia fans may still get a kick out of some of the sex scenes, a few of which are reportedly unsimulated. During promotion of Vin Diesel's XXX, a lot of the mainstream press made mention of the opening scene of DIVA, where frequent Abel Ferrara rapper Schooly D. (name-checked as an 'unidentified black stud' in mags like ROLLING STONE) bangs Asia from behind. I'm sure perks like that went a long way to reimbursing Schooly and others for the limited exposure and distribution of the movie proper, or even pursuaded him to do the shoot for free...

5. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

I saw this movie a couple of years ago at the Toronto Film Festival. Asia Argento was present to answer questions at the end of the movie, and somebody asked about the sex scenes. And indeed, she confirmed some of them were not simulated. The movie was filmed with digital cameras, which allowed only the camera operator to be in a small space, like a washroom, where a particular sex scene took place, and capture the intimacy of the moment.
    I am very open minded, and grew up watching European films, as well as Hollywood productions. But I have to recommend a pass on this movie. Lots of fizzle and no stake. Same as the French film Romance. This is the closest comparison I can make.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks everybody!

Did it just get released on DVD? If its not so great, why is it at the top of somebody's best-sellers list?

7. BooneG

BooneG Stunt Coordinator

One word , Mike.

NUDITY!!!!!!!!!

I thought that the movie was ok. there is a lot of nudity and Asia looks HOT!!!.:b

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Boone:
    Oh. Okay.
    Sometimes one word is all you need to tell the whole story! [​IMG]

9. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

If it is Schooly D in the opening scene, he is the person who made the theme to Aqua Teen Hungerforce on Cartoon Network.
    Also, searching the internet you can find all the grabs from this film with Asia in them