What is satellite "C" at 110 degrees?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Roth, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

I finally bought two Mitsubishi srsd100 Directv systems to get the two receivers. I also got a 24" Sony oval dish so I have 2 18" dishes doing nothing. I am also the proud owner of 4 dual LNBs. Whatever. The Sony install manual talks about Satellite C and says it may offer services in my area. What is this? Is it worth trying to use 1 of my 'spare' LNBs and/or 18" dishes to get this?
    thanks,
    rob

2. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

DirecTv uses the 110 slot to send some local channels to select markets. (not very many if I remember right) There are "Sat C" kits available, and I think it is different from the other 2 LNB's so the one you have probably won't work.
    PS....Some people heard a rumor last year that DirecTv was moving HDTV to the 110 slot. Many purchased the kit in anticipation, but the rumor turned out not to be true.
    Eric

3. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

OK, so SAT C is the overflow bird also used for future expansion? Does this mean lots of directv subscribers may have to upgrade their equipment in the future?

4. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

DirecTv has kept pretty quiet about their plans at 110. I can't imagine any big national programing would move there...most people don't have the oval dish much less the third LNB for SAT C.
    Eric

5. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

DirecTV owns three transponders at 110.
    If they do not use them they lose them.
    I think two set of North Carolina locals come from the 110 slot.