What is S-Video switching for?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaysonE, Mar 2, 2002.

1. CaysonE

CaysonE Extra

Hello all,
    This is my first post, though I've been lurking for a few months. I've had my home theater for just over a year. Its a really modest setup, headed by a Pioneer VSX-D509s reciever. My question is, why the S-video connections in the back? I have a DirecTivo and DVD player both hooked into my TV via S-video, and a optical cable from the DVD and DirecTivo. What would I gain by hooking the S-video into the reciever first? Thanks for the help, look forward to many more questions from me! [​IMG]
    Cayson

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i think its so you would just have to change from the Tivo to the DVD player on the reciever and it would change the video on the tv and the sound at the same time, instead of having to change the sound source on the reciever and the video source on the tv

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

All video switching -- whether it's S-video, composite or component -- is designed mostly for situations where you have more components than you have inputs on the TV (or other display device). Right now, it sounds like you have two S-video sources. What if you added an SVHS VCR and a high-end laserdisc player? Would you still have enough inputs on your TV to accept all four? (My guess is no.)

Another reason people use video switching is convenience. Instead of having to change input sources on your TV to switch from DVD to DirecTiVo, you run them both through the receiver, run the receiver to a single input on the TV, and select both the audio and video source through the receiver.

What you currently have sounds fine, though. In fact, many believe that video connections should go direct to the TV wherever possible. The fewer obstacles in the signal path, the less risk that the signal will degrade.

M.

4. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

Michael's point above is correct. My TV only has one S-video input, so I run my DVD and LD players through the inputs on my receiver. I know that probably causes some signal loss, but I'm still on a standard TV, and I see no decrease in picture quality. Fortunately, it seems the higher end TVs I've been looking at have at least 3 S-video inputs.

5. Steve Klein

Steve Klein Extra

Don't forget videogaming [​IMG]
    Although you may not ever use it, I hook up a Xbox, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, and N64 (as well as DVD Player) to my reciever. It is much more convenient then switching wires on the back of my TV.