What is "RGB plus H&V"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeHarley, Jan 3, 2003.

1. MikeHarley

MikeHarley Extra

I'm hooking up my XBox to my Mitsubishi WT-46809 (HDTV-ready 16:9). I bought the XBox HDTV adapter and am running component video from the XBox into the TV.

On the back of the TV, I have "Component Inputs" with "YPrPb". They are marked 480i/480p.

I also have inputs for "DTV" with "YPrPb/GRBHV". They are marked 480i/480p/1080i. These include two additional RCA hook-ups labeled H&V.

Which do I use? What are the "H&V" for?

Thank you in advance.

2. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

H & V refer to horizontal and vertical sync respectively. The combination of RGBHV is basically the same as the analog video signal coming out of a computer (only with the individual lines broken out into separate cables.)

Most HD receivers put out component video (Y,Pr,Pb) but some such as the RCA DTC100 put out RGBHV. Some such as the Zeniths and some others are switchable.

The two sync lines and sometimes combined onto a single line, and this is referred to as RGBs. Component video does not use a separate sync line since the sync signal is sent along with the "Y" cable.

3. MikeHarley

MikeHarley Extra

That makes sense.

It sounds like when I do get a HDTV decoder for the TV (down the road), I should look for one with the "H&V" outputs because my TV can support it.

I appreciate the answer.