What's new

What is replacing the Onkyo TX-SR876 ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have noticed that the Onkyo TX-SR876 is being blown out recently at newegg and fry electronics for $899 - $999. And since Onkyo introduced the 807 that replaced the weak 806 I am just wondering if anyone has heard about the replacement for the 876? I would imagine that the replacement for the 876 will have the new prologic with the hight channels in front and maybe more HDMI inputs.

I have been trying to save the cash for a new receiver for some time, so long it has become very annoing. I am now seriously looking to cash out my 401k that I have not had for a long time to buy a new receiver. I want a Denon 3808ci but with the cost of the Onkyo 876 coming down to under $1k it is very hard to pass it up with how good it is.

My second question is for 876 owners, is there any serious problems with the 876? The 876 is looking extreamly good for the price it is going for and I think I should grab one soon? Even though its not a Denon, LOL.

Hicks

Agent
Real Name
Jason
We use a 876 here in our demo room and have been very happy with it and had no issues.

It was an upgrade over the 875 as well in terms of the amplifier section.

As for a replacement I haven't heard any news about an "877" so it may not be launched until next year.

I'd say grab the 876 if you see a smokin' deal!

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I've read that Onkyo will be releasing the TX-NR1007, TX-NR3007, and TX-NR5007 in the near future. I'm not sure which one is supposed to be the direct replacement for the TX-SR876 however.

news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/587357.html

I've been looking at the TX-SR876 for several months now and I'm very tempted to pick one up now that prices are dropping. Most places appear to have them at $999 right now. Where have you seen them for $899?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ac4l.com has a factory refurb 876 for $799 in silver, $839 for blk. They also have the 806 for $499/539. I've bought 3 refurb receivers from them over the years, 2 Onkyo's and a Marantz, without issue. $799 is a great price for that receiver, even for a refurb. Otherwise, as Todd said, the cheapest I see it for right now is $999.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Does the 806 have multi channel inputs? I am going to try and find a way to finance the 876 from Frys if possible, not sure if it will happen or not? I do know that Fry's has a smoking deal on the 876 right now and that would be a huge upgrade over my current Yamaha RX-V995!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz

I am now seriously looking to cash out my 401k that I have not had for a long time to buy a new receiver.
If you are not 59 1/2 then I don't think any financial advisor would recommend that you cash out a 401K investment to buy a new receiver. You are going to have to pay an additional penality of 10% in addition to the ordinary income tax withdrawals from your 401K plan. If you are no longer active in that 401K then move it over to a self directed IRA and save it for your retirement. Fund the new receiver from another income sream.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
What kind of deal does Fry's have on the TX-SR876 right now? I'm seriously considering the purchase of one of these to replace my 1999/2000 vintage TX-DS777. I see most online dealers are still floating around the $1000 mark so I'm wondering if the Fry's price is worth the 30+ mile drive.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have not been to Fry's in weeks so I honestly do not know if the deal on the 876 is still on? The last time I was there it was ether going for $899 or $999 for the Onkyo TX-SR876.

The only reason I was even considering the 401K dip was I have no other income stream to use to finance the new receiver! I can withdraw the cash under hardship reasons but I do have to pay a penalty to do so. I also can not withdraw money under hardship after the age of 59 1/2 ether. I actually am not that crazy about using 401k money to buy a receiver but its ether that or not buy one to replace my 12 year old Yamaha RX-V995 that needs to be replaced! And also if I do not go the route of the 401k I will be lucky to get a new receiver in the next 6 - 10 years! You just have to love being poor!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Does the 806 have multi channel inputs?
I meant the 807, sorry. I honestly do not like the 806 and do not want that one in my a/v rack! They took the 805 and stripped it bad enogh to where I honestly wouldn't want it in my rack for FREE !!!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Finally got around to looking at the Onkyo website and the 807 features page says no multi-channel input. It says it has 7.2 outputs but no multichannel inputs. On pictures of the back I could not find multi-channel inputs ether. It is amazing that with a receiver at that price point that there is no multi-channel inputs! I have a Denon DVD-2200 that I use for multi-channel SACD & DVD-A so my new receiver will have to have multi-channel analog input, especially since the Denon 2200 does not have hdmi to deliver the audio to the receiver.

Onkyo TX-NR807
www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm

This receiver is off my list but I would still love to own the Onkyo TXSR876

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Sorry about that!
I just looked again, and see you are right. The only explanation I have is that when panning to the right, my eyes must have dropped to the next line (pre-outs line).
You're right about a receiver at that price should have the multi-channel inputs. I can't believe it doesn't. Oh well, their screw-up!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It looks like Onkyo 607/707/807 don't have MC inputs. Neither do the RC160/180. But the new 1007/3007/5007 do have them. Don't know what to make of it.

dwatkinsusa

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I got my TX-SR876 along with a DV-SP506 SACD/DVD player for Christmas last year and I love it. (read review eleswhere on this site) The only problem I've had with it are that it gets pretty hot and so I run an external fan across the top of the unit. Oh, the settings seem to change occasionally, but only if you don't use the settings lock feature. Having the receiver do the SACD DSD decoding is a big advantage. The DV-SP506 has the ability to send the raw DSD stream over HDMI making it ideal mate for this receiver.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I need to get a new job so I can ether get a Denon or the Onkyo 876 before my old Yamaha takes a dump! I actually wouldn't be against getting a great deal on a discontinued 805 ether.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks