what is reference on volume dial for Yamaha RXV-800?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Curtis_Edwards, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

What is the volume setting that you guys are finding is close to or at reference? -40, -50, -30 etc. I am not sure if it is 00.

Thanks in advance.

-- Curtis

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Using the same receiver it will vary depending on room size and speakers used. A set of low sensitivity NHT speakers in a large room will require a much higher volume setting on the Yamaha than high sensitivity Klipsch speakers in a small room. The only way to find reference level is with a calibration disc and an SPL meter.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Your Yamaha receiver is calibrated so that with the main volume knob at the 12 o'clock position, the receiver is providing it's max rated power at the published distortion values.

How much volume you are getting depends upon what speakers you have attached, how far away you are sitting, etc.

When I used the test-tones to reach 75 db at my seat, both my Yamaha receivers had the main volume control around 10 o'clock (if that helps).

4. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info guys. I will use the test disc and the SPL meter to try to determine the best setting.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have the RXV620 and DIY bookshelf monitors(GR-Research). I also have a fairly small place but my reference level is -16 on my dial. I don't think anyones reference is 00(that's max). I usually listen to movies at -40 to -30(apartment) and it's plenty loud for my taste.

You need to find your own reference level with Avia/Video essentials/other reliable set-up disk and the trusty SPL meter.

Also, not sure if some DVD players output a higher digital signal than others. I have a sony DVD player but don't know for sure if all players have the same output level or not.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've got about the same settings Jeff, with my RX-V1200. I calibrated the system with it set to -15.00db, using the internal test tones and my SPL meter set to '80'.

Anyone know how to adjust the volume of the tuner independently of the rest of the system? I really hate it when I switch inputs from the TV (leaving the volume at around -40db), and getting blasted by the sound from the radio.

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Don,

I don't think you can do that. I think the tuner is set to a fixed level. Refer to the manual to be sure.

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Don, some of the newer Yammies have a host of IR codes for storing various settings such as volume level and the like. If you have a programmable remote, such as a Pronto, you can access those codes and with macros change the volume to a preset level when you switch inputs. More info on these codes can be found at Yamaha's web site and remote central.

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Matthew: thanks for the update on the new volume controls. Sounds like I might need a new receiver with that "go to this volume" feature. But I love my A1 [​IMG] (sigh)

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Bob, just for fun, I just switched to a no-output source om my Yam 800, and twisted the volume from 00dB to -99dB. The throw is FOUR complete 360deg. turns.

My reference level at 85dB AVIA w/ Paradigm spkrs in living room that opens into kitchen/dinette is -17.5.

11. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

i have jbl nd310s in a 13 x 17 room with a yamaha rx-v800 calibrated to 85 db with avia and my reference level is -19.0db (roughly -20)