What is red push?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brandon Steck, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Brandon Steck

Brandon Steck Stunt Coordinator

What's this I keep reading about red push? I guess it's an overcompensation for the red output, right? I've read about the attenuators and everything. I have a Toshiba 56H80 that has developed a red haze on the two sides, but is fine in the middle. There're three knobs that are behind a panel on the front of the tv that adjust the output of the red, blue, green. Naturally, turning down the red helps the problem but overaccentuates the blue and green, so blacks aren'te 100% black. Could a red push attenuator solve this problem?

Brandon

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

This is not red push—it is probably caused by some type of magnetic interference and can (with luck) be cured by degaussing—any TV repair store will have a deguasser—plus you can find them a electronics supply stores. The most likely cause of this comes from unshielded speakers being too close to your set, but there are other possible causes. One thing you might try (it sometimes works) is to unplug your set overnight or maybe a day or two.. You want to eliminate even low voltages to the set, so unplug. This sometimes cures the problem.

It may also be that you have an alignment problem and you will need to do this yourself or have a technician perform the job for you.

I don’t wish to be pessimistic, but there have been cases where magnetic interference has caused problems that cannot be fixed. Address this immediately, as it will only get worse and the longer it goes uncorrected the greater the chance you won’t be able to correct the problem.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i agree. it sounds like a magnetic interference thing. do you have speakers that are close to the set?

regarding red push and proper calibration, you may find this thread interesting. it's buy guy kuo .... he knows his stuff.

4. Brandon Steck

Brandon Steck Stunt Coordinator

I do have two Klipsch fs-8.5's that are rather close to the set. Right now I'm in between my apartment and house and don't have anywhere to spread them out . . . but you think this degausser may work? How much would one of those run me? Also, I've always heard to put your center channel on top of the set . . . if the speakers are in fact causing the redness on the sides, why isn't it on the top where the center channel is? I'm assuming the floor speakers have bigger magnets, or is the center channel generally sheilded better because they assume you're putting it on top of your set?

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You are correct—center speakers are almost always shielded. Other speakers are usually not (I do know some exceptions) shielded, so in some cases speakers placed too closely to the sides of your display can cause a problem

Try unplugging your set and don’t use your speakers for about 24 hours. See if this helps.

The degausser should work if this does not.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Most newer TV sets do an automatic degauss when switched on. So you may want to switch off your set totally, remove your speakers for a while and switch it back on again. If the effect is gone (or severy diminished), see what happens if you bring your speakers back.

Cees