what is Positive promotion and negative promotion?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by eugene-w, Mar 19, 2002.

1. eugene-w

eugene-w Extra

hi

i was reading some articles about e-commerce and online marketing and it mentioned something about positive and negative promotions.

does anyone know the exact meaning of positive and negative promotions?? i am sure some of the members here work in the marketing field.

hope someone can help.

thanks!!!

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Just a guess, but I'd think negative promotion would be anything that serves to annoy people so they would never buy from you anyway (i.e. bombarding them with spam email, telemarketing, website pop-ups, etc.). Positive promotion would be getting your message across without being overbearing and intrusive (billboards, magazine/radio ads, direct mail).

3. eugene-w

eugene-w Extra

thanks for your input!!

anyone else has any thoughts?

4. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

I'm thinking it's the carrot vs. the switch analogy, where positive promotion is "use our product/service and derive pleasure," where negative promotion is "use our product/service and avoid certain displeasures."

Drug companies use (for the most part) negative promotion, as do safety products. The don't drink & drive or non-smoking campaigns use mostly negative promotion.

Many products could easily use both. "Buy an SUV and have some great off-road fun!" (positive) Or "purchase an SUV and keep your family safe." (negative)

Just a guess, based on the whole principle of positive vs. negative reinforcements.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Or it could also be that Positive Promotion speaks about the advantages and characteristics of your product, while Negative Promotion points out the supposed shortcomings or implied defects in the products of your competitors.

Sort of like negative campaigning during elections where one candidate spends so much time and money telling us why the other candidate is such a bad person, rather than telling us what s/he'll stand for and accomplish if elected.

6. eugene-w

eugene-w Extra

wow. thanks, guys!! you guys are truly great and smart!

i posted the same question at 3 other boards but all i got from there was a bunch of jokes.

thanks again!

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Well, I think that's the difference between the well-moderated HTF and "other forums."

Here, the people actually try and be helpful and share useful information. Most other boards are just sarcasm and snide remarks.