What is on Paramounts August slate?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sean Moon, May 21, 2003.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Well, I was just thinking back to those years where near the end of August/Sept we got a great catalog release from Paramount. First it was Braveheart, then Forrest Gump. Last year we got Grease(sure it was end of Sept, but close) and Saturday Night Fever soon after.
    With Indiana Jones coming in Nov. I was wondering if Paramount has a cool little gift for us in store again this year?
    Any ideas from anyone or rumors Ron? Or Mr Blythe?
    Maybe its just wishful thinking...after all I am getting Indiana this year, so maybe that amazing gift alone is cancelling out the usual August gift.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

In their shoes, I might be tempted to say that Indy is enough, and not worry about the "fall classic", or whatever you want to call it. [​IMG]

But there are actually many things rumored to be in-the-works soon from Paramount. Maybe instead of having one "big" catalog event, like in previous years, they'll just have a bunch of smaller ones. I dunno.

We already know that August will bring 3 from Bogdonovich: Targets/Paper Moon/Daisy Miller. That could be a decent event right there, but not a big mass-market one unfortunately. More for the film fans.

Shogun is definately coming this fall; that could be it.

October gets past that window with titles like If..., Black Sunday, The Keep, Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter, Lipstick, The Italian Job, and DRAGONSLAYER. I would think the latter would be good enough for an event, but I think that's just my own desires talking there. :wink: Nah...not a big promotion there, unfortunately.

November is quite busy with the dude with the hat, thank you very much! Pretty Baby and Young Sherlock Holmes will probably hit in the last part of the year, probably December.

Other rumored titles include Regarding Henry, Winds of War and Little Darlings. I don't see any of them as a big catalog event, though.

Maybe Paramount's been keeping something really cool under the radar. Maybe it's a flyby of a radar tower. A very SPECIAL EDITION of something. It's classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you! [​IMG]

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

David

could it be that TG SE is coming out earlier than we think ?

[​IMG]

4. David Lambert

Who knows? Not I...

5. Sean Moon

Good...I like the speculation happening. Young Sherlock Holmes would be AWESOME anytime. TOP GUN SE would be nice too. Right now I just have the feeling that Indy is our BIG present for the whole year(and, oh, what a present it is indeed), but what I think would be REALLY cool is if sometime soon Paramount put out a glut of rereleases of old titles, but with new anamorphic picture masters and DTS, like Breakdown, Ghost and the Darkness, and others. Hell, even if we only got a DTS Titanic and Top Gun instead of SE I would be happy.

6. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    What about the SE of Star Trek V? Now that Nemesis is out, this one should hopefully be announced soon.

7. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I am really interested in seeing what Paramount is going to pull out of their hat in regard to their annual Halloween promotion.

While it would be great to get some unearthed classics like "Let's Scare Jessica To Death," it would be nice if they were to suprise us with something like what Region 2 is getting from Warner...no names needed :b

8. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

I would LOVE to see a DVD release of LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH.

Another Paramount title I would definitely purchase on DVD is Howard Hawks' RED LINE 7000. It did receive a VHS and laserdisc release, but it's currently out of print, so I doubt that a DVD release will ever happen.

9. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Isn't "ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST" coming in November? Big SE set?

10. David Lambert

Oh, Star Trek V should hit before the year is over...I agree with that.

For Halloween, I would think that The Keep, Captain Kronos, and perhaps even Lipstick qualify. I've also heard about "Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell", but that's more iffy in regards to sources, so take it with a grain of salt. They may also lump Dragonslayer and Black Sunday into "Halloween Thrills and Fantasy"...but I doubt all the titles I just mentions will release in the same week.

I've heard zilch about Let's Scare Jessica To Death, sorry.

Greg, I simply forgot to mention Once Upon A Time In The West. Yeah, that should be November-ish.

I figure that Martin is reading this and chuckling at us for all the speculation. Hi, Martin! (waves) We LOVE Paramount DVDs!!! [​IMG]

11. Sean Moon

Yes Martin, we love Paramount DVDs...and I hope the Indy set lives up to my expectations. With Lowry Digital doing the picture restoration and Paramounts usually high standards on video working together, I expect nothing short of breathtaking.

12. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

13. David Lambert

[​IMG]

14. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Frankenstein & the Monster From Hell & Captain Kronos have already been annouced for release in the UK, so a region 1 release may not be too far away (he says while crossing his fingers).

15. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Paramount can do whatever the hell it wants because come August I will be in Peter Bogdanovich heaven, watching my Targets, Daisy Miller & Paper Moon DVDs and also enjoying Universal's Mask special edition re-issue. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Paramount is A-OK by me !

Now I only wish that Columbia, Fox, and Buena Vista would dust off their Bogdanovich films (Nickelodeon, At Long Last Love, and Noises Off respectively) and I don't know who I need to lobby for They ALl Laughed.

But I just want to kiss Paramount right now. They could release Good Burger for all I care (oh wait, they are!).

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Is If... really coming out in the fall? Did I miss something? I have heard rumours about a release, but nothing official from Paramount. I had previously heard that McDowell and David Sherwin had recorded an audio commentary last year, but nothing since then. http://www.mondo-digital.com/mondoupdate.html has it on their calender, but no other sites seem to.

I really need to have this film on DVD! [​IMG]

The rare Laserdisc is on Ebay at the moment, I believe. Great film, a true oddity.

Gordy

17. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Gordon, bad news on If from Martin Blyth over at this forum. It looks like it's a no show for this year [​IMG]

Dvdsoon had it up for pre-order for a short while (with Frankenstein & The Monster from Hell, Captain Kronos, The Keep and Once Upon a Time in The West), but apparently they removed them after having their hands smacked by Paramount.

Terrible shame.

---
    So many films, so little time...

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I think Paramount is slowly being made aware of the demand for Let's Scare Jessica....
    it's been mentioned several times in threads martin has participated in over the last couple of years on both this forum and DVDtalk, and it's been brought up by several different people.
    one of these days i hope will see it.
    probably not this year...but '04 maybe?
    i have 3 big wants from Paramount.
    that's one of 'em.

last year Martin mentioned a couple other titles they wanted feedback on as to whether to devote resources to special edition content.
    a couple of the other titles were
    Murder on the Orient Express
    and Foul Play.
    both of those got a pretty enthusiastic response, but we still haven't heard anything on them.
    Captain kronos was also on the list at the time, and that HAS gotten a scheduling.

still hope to see Foul Play by the end of the year.
    (how nice would a Hawn/Chase commentary be?)