What's new

What is old stuff worth? (1 Viewer)

Rob Ho.

Grip
Where can I find information on the value of some old equipment? A friend is interested in selling some of his old stuff and I'm having a tough time finding it's value. Thank you in advance!

A great way to figure that out is to go to eBay and do a search through the completed items. It gets you in the neighborhood. It may not give you "blue book" value of the equipment but it will certainly show you what people are willing to pay - and that's what matters most!

Rob Ho.

Grip
Thanks Dan, I tried that, it's just that some of the stuff is higher-end. For example, Aerial acoustics speakers, Tice line conditioner, basically items that most people aren't familiar with. Point is, there's very few of these on ebay. I did find some of the things, though.:)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Of course common sense applies like condition, warranty, age of the equipment and availability/is it a hot item?

Try audiogon or audio review classifieds.

Usually, 50% is the tops on old equipment....with 30% of the original value being the norm. If the item is currently available, use an internet price as your starting point.

Bottomline: It doesn't matter what he paid for it....it's what it can be bought for now in the new or used market. I see people get caught up in the fact that they paid 6,000 for their processor....when the used market is 2,000. Once it leaves the store it's used.

Ron

PS: One last comment-remember the person interested in buying the item is a customer. I can't tell you the number of times I've been interested in an item and don't get a responding email back for more info....only to be followed by a repost from the seller wondering why it hasn't been sold. Treat the customer, as you would expect to be treated (double boxed, insured and repond back to all emails).

Paul Gere

Second Unit
www.audiogon.com
offers a bluebook listing for used high end gear. It's a subscription, though. I don't have a subscription, so I couldn't tell you what to expect there.
At a minimum, you could search their classifieds to find matches to your stuff (more likely than ebay).
Hope this helps.
-Paul

Rob Ho.

Grip
Ron & Paul, Thanx. I love Audiogon. Can't believe I couldn't find it searching myself.
Ooops, I just did a search on Google. It's the 1st result. I must have dismissed it as a retail/spam site. Hey, ya live and learn, right?:D

Rob Ho.

Grip
Yo Paul, I love your theater! The rope lighting facing up is super sweet! Giving me a few ideas, thanks!

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Rob,
Thanks for the nice words!
Glad to help!
Funny thing, the rope lights get more comments/emails than anything else in the theater. Outstanding use of $40!
:D
-Paul

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Retail
MSRP: $1,400.00
USED: $722.00
Wholesale
Mint: $441.48
Average: $269.95
wholesale prices a bit low, dont you think? i think i could get a little more than their wholesale prices state. i know i cant get my $845 that i paid, but $300-400? cmon now.

CJ

That price seems a bit low to me too, however if they are guaging prices on what dealers pay for these amps used as the wholesale figures (The way Kelley Blue Book does it for cars) I wouldnt be the least bit surprised. Dealers dont give you didly for most used equipment. Take it easy everyone and enjoy Christmas.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
The wholesale value=ACV or what the item is worth in hard cash, take everybody's profit out of the piece and what do you have left. . .
Take your Pioneer for example, a dealer buys it at auction for resale for $300 figure his expenses, any bench testing, set it up to display, now he is in it say 350-375, list it for sale, pay shipping?, now put a price on it to sell to the gen public, you know how that works now it is $750.00 minimum, and he is already over the used book retail price. You go in expecting to get a deal becaues it is used and by god not going to pay retail, knock 20% off now you are at $600 thinking you just stole it.
I know I have had my feelings hurt before, what about the poor soul who just walked out with the same new in the box piece, after 6 months wants to upgrade trys to sell it, he just paid 1400 +tax+shipping+extended warranty maybe your 1400 is now 1600+. How do they look you in the eye and say I will give you $400 for it only if you got the manuels, box all in like new condition.
Please excuse the soap box but I have been there and it still pisses me off, Boy this HT stuff is a lot of work for someone who trys to keep up with the changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks