What is NTSC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Lik, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Todd Lik

Todd Lik Auditioning

Awhile back I rented a projector from an audio/video company for a party I was throwing. My friend handling the visuals said it had to be a NTSC projector. I had no idea what it was but I found one anyway. The company I rented it from told me it could project like a 30" image on up to the size of an outdoor movie screen(Incredible) and you can hook it up to a computer and VCR. After using it I decided I will never own another TV and I must have one. What exactly is it, who makes them and where can I get one?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

NTSC is a name given to our current, out of date television system in the North American and Japanese regions (elsewhere?). The "cute" full name is Never Twice the Same Color; not the actual name but still a very telling description.
    You want a High Definition (HDTV) capable projector. Try a DLP or LCD projector that can do AT LEAST 720p HDTV resolutions and has a decent quality scaler. Preferably in a native 1.78:1 aspect ratio. High Rez., widescreen DLP projectors are about to come out (the Sharp 9000 looks to be the first out of the gates and a real stunner), and there are currently about three big name widescreen LCD projectors (from Sony and Sanyo).
    The only problem--- you should wait to see what future projectors will support DVI and FireWire digital video connections and the HDCP and 5C copy protection schemes before throwing your money away.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on August 09, 2001 at 03:13 PM]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Never Twice the Same Color [​IMG]
    -Video Essentials
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 10, 2001 at 10:35 AM]