1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What is my weakest link

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Murthy, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Murthy

Murthy Auditioning

It has been over year I came to this forum and couldn't be happier about the equipment I own with recommendations from this forum. Now,it is time to find out what is the weakest link in my equipment and upgrade that link. My upgrade budget is $500. I listen to music and movies 50-50. My current equipment is
    Denon AVR-1603, Paradigm Titans (Front),CC-170,Atoms(Rear) ,PDR-10 and Sony Trinitron 27". I would appreciate any suggestions as which piece of equipment should I consider to upgrade within my budget.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How about selling the PDR-10 and combining the proceeds with the $500 to get a PDR-12 or one of the SVS brands?

BTW, thread moved to A/V Sources because you're asking for specific model recommendations for an entire system. The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level. FYI.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I was thinking either the sub or the TV and, since $500 can't buy a great big screen TV, but can buy an excellent sub, I'd go along with what Neil said.

4. Murthy

Murthy Auditioning

Thank you Neil and DanaA. It is interesting to note that sub is a good candidate for upgrade. While posting this, I was thinking it would be receiver, since it has only 80w power, I thought upgrading to a 100w receiver would be better. Yes, TV is definitely one of the upgrade candidate, but, it has to wait due to budget constraints. Reading the reviews I did get attracted to SVS.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I would probably upgrade speakers. Many paradigm dealers have good trade-in policies, and you may still have such a good thing at your disposal. I think a PDR 10 is about on par with the rest of the system, and while something like an SVS would be better, it really depends on your preferences. If you listen to a lot of music, which you say about half the time, I would probably look into upgrading your mains, perhaps to mini-monitors. I've owned both titans and mini-monitors, and if you are a discerning listener you will appreciate the improvement with music (not a huge change with movies). If you're big on the movies more, then maybe a kick-ass SVS would meet the need for more goodies (I have one of those too [​IMG] ).

The TV though, is probably the weakest link when viewing movies, however, I don't know that $500 will get you that much of an improvement, unless you decide to go all-out and install a used CRT projector, which you can pick up for $500 probably, for a little video-grade unit. That would be quite a nice theater improvement project.

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'd say keep the PDR 10 for a music only system. While it can't "plumb the depths" it's a very musical sub and would sound great with the Paradigm Atoms,Titans or Mini Monitors.

You can look at getting an SVS 20-39 for $600 which would be a great move. Sorry that it's over your cap, but it's a great imvestment.

The TV is too small for 2.35 or 2.4 to 1 movies, but you're right when you say that for $500 you can't really get much.

Does your Sony do raster compensation??

Brent

7. Murthy

Murthy Auditioning

Thanks again guys for the suggestions. I do not think my Sony does raster compensation (I don't know much either about this term [​IMG] ), because, it is a very basic 27" TV. Looks like SVS is the way to go, I'm more leaning towards a music oriented system than a movie one.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Invest the money in a trip to the Upgraditis Clinic cause you've caught the disease. Honestly just stick with what you have for now and save a little longer for a big screen.

Kevin

9. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I'll throw two cents in & say that would be the last thing I would upgrade. 80 watts is more than enough power (especially 80 Denon watts). I have the Denon AVR-1602 (previous model from 1603) & I can say it will be the last thing I upgrade.
    I was going to recommend you upgrade the sub since you can find a great sub for $500 or under.
    Check the "For Sale" area here. I bought an SVS 25-31CS(non-powered) for (edit)$250. I was lucky enough to be close enough to drive (4 hours :p ) to pick it up.
    If you want a "cool factor" upgrade then I'd suggest bass shakers. Two shakers & a small amp should run around $200.
    Good Luck

10. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Save a little more and for $1000 you can have a nice direct view 30-32" Widescreen TV.

11. Murthy

Murthy Auditioning

That is very true [​IMG] . I guess once you get to this forum you catch the bug, can't help. All the suggestions were really nice. I guess Sub and TV rules now, I will look for an SVS, and then, may be upgrade mains for better music experience and then the TV. Looks like I will upgrade sub immediately, wait about 6 months for the big TV !

12. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

With your bend more towards music, I agree with Chris that upgrading your mains should provide a noticeable improvement, and you can get more value for your $500 if your dealer supports an upgrade policy (and you're eligible). Even a floorstander in one of the Paradigm series (even the Monitor series) may be possible for the $ mentioned.

By the way, you didn't mention the source equipment you use. Do you use your DVD player for music as well? In any case, I would guess that you could only get so much of an improvement in upgrading the source while you still have the Denon 1603 (although I've never heard the 1603; just an educated guess).

Doug

13. Murthy

Murthy Auditioning

Yes, I use DVD player for music as well. Not a great DVD player, it is a Zenith DVB312. I'm happy with it since it supports all media and file formats.

14. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, many dealers have some kind of an upgrade policy for trading in old equipment, and is usually the best value for speakers. For instance, a very good policy would be full-value for trade-in towards better speakers within a certain period of time. I did this, and it is a very good way to get a setup now, and upgrade later on, without actually losing any value/money in the process, since you get full-back what you paid in the first place towards better speakers. Different dealers may have different policies, some may have none. You should ask your dealer about trade-up policies, or whatnot, if it's been a long time though, you are probably beyond the limit.

15. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I second saving $$$ for now and going for a nicer display device.

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

third me on that.

17. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Yeah, I'd say save it. You can get wicked good deals on HD Wide TVs now-a-days. I got my Philips 30" wide for 800 minus the 100 bonus dollars that my cable provider knocked off the price 'cause I signed up for hi-def in the store.
    I can't watch a regular TV anymore, I've been spoiled!!

18. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'll give another nod to the sub. If you can't justify an SVS condidering the rest of the system then perhaps use $400 for an Adire Rava. Then sell your PDR-10 and Titans and combine that w/ the leftover $100 to pick up some Mini Monitors or maybe Monitor 3's used. That way you get more than just one upgrade with the same money and an all around better system.

19. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Get a second job and get the sub and TV!

20. Murthy

Murthy Auditioning

That is the best way to get more bucks [​IMG], but, I guess I wouldn't have time to use the system. Yeah, I have been attracted to the low prices of HDTVs these days. Idea of Adire rava along with fronts upgrade sounds good too. Great I've got lots of ideas now.