What's new

What is Michelle Wie trying to accomplish? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Very true. That is why John Daly keeps getting so many sponsor's exemptions right now, even though his game is in the toilet and his life is a mess. He brings out the fans.

As for Michelle Wie, those exemptions will probably dry up soon as people realize that she has absolutely no chance of competing and the curiousity factor dies off. I think that time is nearly here for Wie. After all, she hasn't even been very competitive when playing in women's tournaments over the past year. She just doesn't belong in men's events right now.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Even if Wie becomes the greatest LPGA player who ever lives, it's probably still not very much recognition. So, if she can make a killing in endorsement deals by playing in the PGA it could be hard to pass up. If that dries up eventually, she could always go back to being a career LPGA player. It's the same reason I don't blame high school kids for skipping college and going pro right away. Make money while you can before you get a career ending injury or god knows what. You can always go back to college later.

Of course, if this isn't what she wants and it's just the parents pimping her out, that's another story.

troy evans

Screenwriter
What self respecting male golfer would? If he dominated the LPGA he would be considered an asshole and told to go play in the PGA. Imagine if Mike Tyson were to start fighting in woman's boxing. Everyone would be like, WTF? However, if this girl learns something in her stay on the PGA tour then it's not all bad. If male golfers are truely better than female, then she's learning from the best, right?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I don't think "learning" from male golfers has anything to do with the reasons why she insists on playing in their tournaments.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Lorena Ochoa is already a legend here—and if she continues her current pace will become one everywhere by the time she hangs up her tees.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Right now, I think it's more important for Wie to learn how to win. That means being in contention on Sunday, and that is not going to happen by playing against the men in PGA events.

Annika Sorenstam stated she learned a lot about what she needed to work on her golf game after playing in a PGA event. However, the difference was that Sorenstam was already an accomplished player on the LPGA tour, and she only played in one PGA event.

I just do not see where a woman can compete against the men on the PGA tour. Wie, for example, shot an 80 on a course that was setup for lots of birdies, playing against a lesser men's field. The top men were at Firestone last weekend. Imagine what she would have shot at a course setup for a U.S. Open like Torrey Pines this year. She wouldn't have even matched the 84 shot by Dallas Cowboys starting QB Tony Romo in an NBC / Golf Digest sponsored event just before the Open.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Sorry, Edwin. I have to bust your chops on this.

Last time I checked Jack Nicholson never played a PGA tournament, but there is a golfer named Jack Nicklaus who had won 18 major titles during his career.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

No apology needed. Getting the name wrong was a dumb screw-up on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks